Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since a week I have a new Asus pro71S notebook. I tried kubuntu (like I was used to): no sound, centos: no sound/displaydriver/wifi and now fedora 9. This is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wifi, sound and KDE install in fedora 9

Since a week I have a new Asus pro71S notebook. I tried kubuntu (like I was used to): no sound, centos: no sound/displaydriver/wifi and now fedora 9. This is the best sofar but no wifi and no sound. On installation it made some sounds (beeps) but after this not any more.
    Onley Vista does it all (but i don't want that)

So I really like to have sound and wifi

Second thing: I did a network iso cd install and I wanted KDE back but all it has is gnome. How do I install KDE.

My last try with linux, hope this will work.
    Fred

Audio may be muted. Use Volume Control to unmute and adjust the volume on your audio input
    Code:
    gnome-volume-control
    You can install KDE using the package manager. Then choose KDE session from your logon screen.Another way is to install switchdesk package
    Code:
    su-
    yum install switchdesk switchdesk-gui
    After that you can switch to KDE by typing
    Code:
    switchdesk
    and select KDE from the window that appears.

Regarding wifi post the output of the following command
    Code:
    iwconfig interface_name

Just Joined!
    [fred@PA4TIM ~]$ /sbin/iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan1 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"NETGEAR"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:B5:E2:34:C0
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=14 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
    Link Quality=61/100 Signal level=-66 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

pan0 no wireless extensions.

[fred@PA4TIM ~]$

I now have wifi but not with the internal card, i plugged in an old usb-dongle and there was wifi. My internal wifi is a atheros ar5007EG wireless network adapter. The dongle is also an Atheros.

Audio is not muted in alsa or gnome mixer, problem on all installs so far, the driver seems to be OK, in Kubuntu I installed a spectrum analyser and this confirmed the mikes were working. Audio is for me one of the most important parts of the system.
    There is no message about wrong drivers or so, it just starts playing but I think the speakers/headphones stay muted. There are function keys on the keyboard about sound but they don't respont like in Vista.

By the way, I have also vista and kubuntu on my system. The other test-installs did a nice job on grub. I always was able to choose kubuntu or vista but fedora messed up the grub-file so now I have a 25GB test-partion for fedora and lost my 225GB with kubuntu and Vista. Is there a way to recover grub or modify it.

I found KDE in the software installs but did not know which packet, there where to many options. If I install switchdeck it also installs KDE ? On kubuntu I just installed the KDE mega-package and that gave KDE with all possible options and toys ect.

Fred

Type the following
    Code:
    # /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
    # /etc/init.d/network restart

Just Joined!
    It comes back with: file or folder does not excists

I think my path is not correct like it was in centos onley I don't know how to change that. A friend did that for me.

I installed KDE-settings-kdm, that installed 27 packets. When I use the switchdesktop it asks me to choose. I choose KDE but it still is gnome, even after reboot. Strange ??
    I must say, this is the best looking gnome sofar. I like KDE because al my mail/bookmarks are based on KDE and I'm used to it but this gnome feels good sofar.

Thanks for helping, mabey this time everything is gonna work, I stopt experimenting on this install because I'm afraid to corrupt something by accident.

Fred

Try to locate the pcmia interface and network interface using find.
    You might also consider wireless drivers