Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
I am typing to you fellow linux users from my root account at /root of course, because oddly enough I just switched from Ubuntu back to fedora, but my home ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined! jasexjase's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hyannis, Ma
    Posts
    78

    Hey, /home/ help please.


    I am typing to you fellow linux users from my root account at /root of course, because oddly enough I just switched from Ubuntu back to fedora, but my home partition is seperate... and when I got done setting everything up... it wouldn't let me log-in as 'thursday', because it says '/home/thursday' doesn't exist... but my /dev/sda2 is clearly mounted in fstab as /home, and /home/thursday does exist on my computer still... why won't it correctly bind it to my user name?

  2. #2
    Administrator MikeTbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,864
    Was /home/thursday used for Ubuntu?
    You probably have a different user ID between Fedora and Ubuntu. I would try creating a new /home/somename for Fedora, just to see if it works.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

    I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

  3. #3
    Just Joined! jasexjase's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hyannis, Ma
    Posts
    78
    I believe it was 1000 would changing it to that help

    or how about just copying all my files afterwards from directory to directory?

    OK made user jase at /home/jase, and it works fine... but I'd much rather prefer to use thursday @ /home/thursday or at least jase @ /home/thursday
    Last edited by jasexjase; 05-18-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: other idea/test

  4. #4
    Administrator MikeTbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,864
    Yes, changing the UserID, to 1000 will probably help, that's how I use the same /home/tbob for 3 different Distros. But keep in mind if you use more than one Distro, your Desktop/Themes/Decorations will be the same on every distro.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

    I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

  5. #5
    Linux Guru Jonathan183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by jasexjase View Post
    I believe it was 1000 would changing it to that help

    or how about just copying all my files afterwards from directory to directory?

    OK made user jase at /home/jase, and it works fine... but I'd much rather prefer to use thursday @ /home/thursday or at least jase @ /home/thursday
    You should find a console login as root in the distro you want to use and
    Code:
    chown -R thursday /home/thursday
    will sort things out.
    Its also worth double checking you have the user home area set correctly in /etc/passwd

  6. #6
    Linux Guru Jonathan183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Yes, changing the UserID, to 1000 will probably help, that's how I use the same /home/tbob for 3 different Distros. But keep in mind if you use more than one Distro, your Desktop/Themes/Decorations will be the same on every distro.
    I've kept separate home areas for each distro upto now ... partly because I want to see how each distro looks with default settings. Have you encountered any problems as a result of using a single home area for 3 distros once you set the user ID identical for each?

  7. #7
    Just Joined! jasexjase's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hyannis, Ma
    Posts
    78
    The home area is set correctly. chown did nothing to let me login with the username thursday.

    It's all defauly installation. The directory exists.. and it tells me the directory doesn't, all spelling is right, and it's really starting to get aggravating because I can't remember my id number from ubuntu, and don't know if there is a way to find it again.

  8. #8
    Linux Guru Jonathan183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by jasexjase View Post
    The home area is set correctly. chown did nothing to let me login with the username thursday.

    It's all defauly installation. The directory exists.. and it tells me the directory doesn't, all spelling is right, and it's really starting to get aggravating because I can't remember my id number from ubuntu, and don't know if there is a way to find it again.
    Thats odd ... have you tried ls -l and ls -n on the home area?

  9. #9
    Administrator MikeTbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    I've kept separate home areas for each distro upto now ... partly because I want to see how each distro looks with default settings. Have you encountered any problems as a result of using a single home area for 3 distros once you set the user ID identical for each?
    At first I had some troubles with things like missing KDE desktop backgrounds, Fonts and themes, because some themes aren't available on all Distro's. I just made sure to use the same Themes/Icon Set/Fonts for each Desktop. I hardly use KDE anymore. I'm on Xfce now.

    jasexjase, I know KDE has a program called "Kuser" that will let you change/edit your home dir and group/user ID's, maybe Gnome has something like this too. I would give that a try.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

    I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

  10. #10
    Just Joined! jasexjase's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hyannis, Ma
    Posts
    78
    No doubt, my friend... but I still need to discover my old ID... and I tried changing it... I might just have to make a work-a-round hack... I.E. rename /home/thursday, and then make the user thursday, with the directory /home/thursday, and just remove all the necessary files, minus program configs and just move my visual stuff over... more than likely... I'm mainly just trying to keep visual appearances.

    Man GNOME has me suckered in, because it's easier for my guests and friends to use... but I'm a big fan of KDE/XFCE/Fluxbox.

    Fluxbox is my favorite... but all the time it takes to get it working the way you want irks me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •