Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
After a fresh install of Fedora C2, and after configuring my ethernet card I discovered I could not use the internet. It turned out all I could do was not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dns Issue - can ping/browse by ip not hostname

After a fresh install of Fedora C2, and after configuring my ethernet card I discovered I could not use the internet. It turned out all I could do was not do anything with hostnames, IPs worked fine. Ie: www.google.com did not work but http://216.139.57.99 did.

How can I go about fixing this?

check to see your default DNS, if its one specific to your ISP, then you might want to try switching to a public one for a short while. If this is an ongoing issue, call your ISP but if its only temprary, they might be having server problems.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    My ISP has be automatically obtaining the DNS. I don't see an option for that

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ? uhh ok, that doesn't make alot of sense, but how long has this problem existed? wait.... did you get here via IP?

Formerly Known as qub333

So does that mean that you have the DNS settings on automatic? (i.e. when you goto Network Configuration, the options for eth0 [or whatever] has Automatic checked for DNS) You wouldn't happen to be connecting to the internet through a router would you?
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    I just brought this computer home - previously I was using windows 2k which does have that option. Right now I am here by using VNC on a windows box.

Ok, 1) try to manualy change your DNS settings to any public DNS you can find, if you can't find a way to do that, try waiting a littel bit to see if your ISP's servers are somehow down. Finaly, make sure that if you are behind a router (as lakerdonald implied) that you are allowing traffic as nessicary.

Formerly Known as qub333

What I was really implying about the router was that you really need to set your DNS settings to your router's IP. I had this same problem when I first got my router a couple months ago.
    -lakerdonald

o, my mistake, what brand router did you have? And what did you have to do, I have a D-link at home right now, but my Uncle has a massive Cisco switch that he is willing to give me, so ill probably do that.

Formerly Known as qub333

your comment about the router is true as well. My problem was that I was still trying to access the Road Runner DNS through the Automatic Settings, but my router wasn't letting that through for some reason. After I set it manually to 192.168.0.1 (my router) everything was fine. I have a D-Link as well!
    -lakerdonald
    P.S. I think we're stealing this topic from Outpour hehe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast