Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Here we go. I installed Fedora Core 2. This is my first install ever!!! i used the graphical install, and it was relatively easy. I first followed a guide and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hard Drive goes **POOF**

Here we go. I installed Fedora Core 2. This is my first install ever!!! i used the graphical install, and it was relatively easy. I first followed a guide and it said it installed alright. When I restarted the computer, the hard drive was missing. I mean, it was if it was physically gone. BIOS said it wasn't there, and I kept getting a boot disk failure. I then reinstalled using one of the preset setups, and again the installation went wonderfully. Restarted, and again, Disk Boot Failure, and no hard drive existing.

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance,
    Shaun McKinnon

Linux Newbie
    Put your hard drive on other computer then try to boot it from there. If it doesn't work, get a new one.

Just Joined!
    Does it matter if it's a brand new hard drive and I used Linux to create the partitions and format it? (sorry for the newbie questions)

Linux Newbie
    It shouldn't be a problem. Just test it on other computer first. If it can be boot, low format it and try to install linux again.

I install Linux many times on my Dell Inspiron 8000. It was a new hard drive back then. It didn't seem like a problem.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much.

Just Joined!
    sorry to reopen this, but I've encountered a problem...I transferred the drive to another computer, and it booted. However, as I tried to go over top of it with a new installation of Fedora, it kept dropping me at the boot screen...

It would give two lines of code (vmliuz, and initrd.img), then it would reboot. I'd get the boot screen again, and the whole scenario would repeat.

So I checked the drive, and at first it was there. I did a reboot, and it disappeared. I tried to install on another drive, and still nothing.

My computer is a Pentium 4 1.6, Asus P4800SE, 1 GIG of DDR 333, and now a 30 GIG HD. I'm trying Fedora Core 2

Linux Newbie
    So you tested your hard drive and it was good to go. I don't know much to do here now, but check your hard drive's cable and power supply first. Could you reinstall the Fedora again?

Someone else may have better idea here.

Just Joined!
    I'm going to take the hard drive back and just say it's toast. But that still leaves one other problem. On a completely different drive, that is working quite well, I can't get Fedora 2 to install. IT goes to the boot screen, I press enter for graphical, or type linux text, and it goes:

vmlinuz......
    initrd.img..............
    boot.
    Then it repeats the whole cycle all over again. *lol*
    I don't want to give up, because I can't stand Winblows, and I don't want to use Mikersoft Swerver 2003.

I know it's a hardware problem, but I dont' know enough about Linux to get around. I did try this at the boot screen:
    linux ide=nodma noacpi
    and still no good. I even tried linux noprobe. I've disabled ACPI in bios, and still nothing.

Thanks again in advance. If you know how to get around this loop, that'd be great.

Shaun McKinnon

Linux Newbie
    Have you md5sum your iso before you write it into CD? It might be an iso image problem?

Just Joined!
    yep...i've installed the program once before. That's when the old drive crapped out. I tested it then as well...all four cds in fact.

I'd just like to say I really appreciate your help and patience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast