Find the answer to your Linux question:
today was the first time i tried redhat. i put in the install cd, and it start alright. and it says starting anaconda. it will start to probe my video, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

monitor problem...i think

today was the first time i tried redhat. i put in the install cd, and it start alright. and it says starting anaconda. it will start to probe my video, mouse, and such. i think it completes, because i can get a quich glimpse of the line saying it is starting X server. then the monitor kinda shuts down, but it is still on. you get that little box saying to check to make sure the cables are plugged in. im thinking that rh is not recognizing my monitor. is this blackout normal. but if i push ctrl+alt+del. it will go back to the install screen. but not long enough to read anything. if anybody has any ideas on how to fix this, or if i should provide more information. im not sure what is needed. but any help will be appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    in my opinion the problem maybe the graphics card..please specify your system(cpu,ram,graphics card etc).
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    i have an athlon xp processor, 768 mb of ram, and a geforce fx 5200. i read that some people had problems with the fx cards. and others had problems with certain types of monitors. they installed in the text mode, and it worked. is it more involved with installing in the text mode, or is it just missing the visuals, but it is the same steps?

Linux Engineer
    i had a problem too with fx card which was fixed..when i selected a driver for nvidia fx from those provided by suse,my monitor was flickering and i had to install the drivers from nvidia to work properly..so maybe your system takes this default driver for geforce fx and stops there without continuing..to check this out use another graphics card and when the installation finishes update your system with the gf fx.then install the drivers for it and check if that works..if it doesn't the problem is your monitor..
    Linux For Ever!

Linux User
    For nvidia graphic cards, use the driver "nv". Then go to www.nvidia.com and install the "nvidia" driver so you can use your hardware acceleration.

Nvidia's readme has a detailed FAQ and installation instructions.
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    if i get the nv drivers. will my card stil be compatable with windows. i probably wont be doing many graphically oriented things while still learning rh. and i will still need to use my vid card with windows. with games and such.

Linux Engineer
    if i get the nv drivers. will my card stil be compatable with windows.
    of course there is compatibility.i suggest you to do it,doesn't matter if you use programs for 3d orientation like blender or games...you should have by then all available resolutions for your pc.
    Linux For Ever!