Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I wonder to hear that linux OS does not need any antivirus or spyware remover tool externally. Why is it so if its true? what makes linux more ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile Security in linux

Hi all,

I wonder to hear that linux OS does not need any antivirus or spyware remover tool externally. Why is it so if its true? what makes linux more secure than other OS? I would be moving to fedora 8 soon (presently windows xp - bad), so please tell me whether i need any spyware remover external tool after installing fedora distro of linux.

in the computer world you never say never, but with Linux you generally dont have those stupid M$ problems.
    i have never used any anti-virus and i never got any virus or so.
    this is due to the design of Linux(and any Unix-flavor system).

after installing fedora forget about those anti-virus. but at the same time you will find yourself putting your hands in the dirt to make something work(not often though).
    Linux and me it's a love story

hi,

that sounds great. also tell me my pc is with virust threat now. If i format completely is there by any chance that virus programs can intrude after installation of fedora too

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    after you format the HD virus will be gone forever
    Linux and me it's a love story

I would suggest you to check this Short Security Guide.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Red face security

hi casper,

read the thread posted in the forum. i somewhat got confused on reading those as they convey me message equally that some are telling that antivirus and firewall are needed but other said that linux has built in firewall and antivirus programs so it is not needed. so kindlyclarify me in ths regard, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oz
    forum.guy
    If you feel unsure, it's best to install a firewall and AV program so that you can feel more at ease when working with your computer. I've been using Linux for more than 8 years and don't run either type of software, but that might change some day.
    oz

read the thread posted in the forum.
    Which Thread?
    i somewhat got confused on reading those as they convey me message equally that some are telling that antivirus and firewall are needed but other said that linux has built in firewall and antivirus programs so it is not needed.
    There is no need to install ant AntiVirus package in Linux unless your machine is connected to Network having Windows Machines too.
    Regarding Firewall, install firestarter if you want. Its available in default repositories of all distros.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by khafa View Post
    after you format the HD virus will be gone forever

As long as it is not an MBR virus.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted