Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed RH9 on an old system I had laying around which is now being used as a web server. I bought a "Dummies guide to RH9" which included the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat 9

I installed RH9 on an old system I had laying around which is now being used as a web server.

I bought a "Dummies guide to RH9" which included the distro awhile back and only recently loaded it.

I have few questions...

1. How secure is RH9 out of the box? Is it still alright as a web server for my site?

2. White Box Linux.... easy way to upgrade from RH9....

I am totally new to Linux and would like to get to know it more but as it is a hobby the real world (my job and family) take up most of my time which doesn't leave a much time to pour through the abundance of documantation available.

I have run a port scan on the server and the only ports open are 80 and 21, running a hardware (router) firewall + RH firewall.

Probably not a good idea to give a link to the site just now but it's running Mambo and phpBB.

Linux Newbie
    digger69, for your first question: How secure will your Linux server be that depends on how well you know about your system. For your second question, if you don't want to mannually install any format of software, apt is a good choice for you and also other people may introduce yum to you, too.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HOUSCOUS
    digger69, for your first question: How secure will your Linux server be that depends on how well you know about your system. For your second question, if you don't want to mannually install any format of software, apt is a good choice for you and also other people may introduce yum to you, too.
    "How secure will your Linux server be that depends on how well you know about your system. "

I don't know much about it... what should I start on?

"apt is a good choice for you and also other people may introduce yum to you"

I have both apt and yum pointed at the Fedori Legacy Project and do run them.

If I point apt at the Whitebox repositories will RH9 basicaly be converted to WBL??

Or is it a little more complecated than that?

Thanks for the response by the way

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    for the security, are you behind a firewall? if not, your going to probably want iptables. The greatest security asset you can have is a tight firewall, and not usingroot unless needed.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Yep, using iptables and my routers firewall

Port scan only shows up port 21 and 80 as open, the rest are either closed or in stealth mode...

Just in case your interested the site is www.digitalfleshwound.com , very proudly built and served entirely from open source software!

Linux Engineer
    nice i'll take a look there...a good configuration is this(using iptables) :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22830
    Linux For Ever!