All,

This experience has been a nightmare, but let me describe it.

I have the following HDs on my system:

SATA Primary (120GB) Windows XP
SATA Master (Not Used)
Primary Master (IDE) (40GB) Where I install all my Linux stuff
Primary Slave (Not Used)
Secondary Master (CD/RW)
Secondary Slave (DVD/RW)

I commenced this past weekend by installing FC2 onto my Primary Master flawlessly until the point where it told me to reboot. After reboot, I was expecting some cosmetic configuration stuff, setting a user account etc--I never arrived at that point.

At that point, I ended up booting straight into Windows XP. I realized that for some reason GRUB wasn't picking up the installation, so I turned off the SATA drive in my BIOS, and was able to access my "Linux" drive (and GRUB) that way. After picking the single processor selection in GRUB, FC2 hung and wouldn't complete installation. I had the exact same results with FC1. For grins I even tried FC3 Test 1, and that had the same results.

Reasoning that it might be FC as the problem, I formatted the HD, and I went back to RH9.

Now, RH9 is installed properly and works. I can boot to it two ways: off the boot disk, or by turning off the SATA drive in the BIOS and going straight to Linux. I tried to get around this by doing the following:

mount-t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/mnt/floppy/linux.bin bs=512 count=1

Then I took the linux.bin file and copied to my XP drive.

And then adjusting boot.ini to point it to linux.bin

The bootloader came up fine, but when I selected RH9, it just hung on a blank screen.

So now I am back to square one. I simply don't now how to get GRUB to *successfully* boot into RH9, and that bothers me. It bothers me even more that I couldn't get any FC versions to successfully complete installation, never mind the bootloader problem. My BIOS does not allow me adjust the order of *specific* drives. It only allows the type of drive so right now it's a) floppy b) CD c) HD

I look forward to any and all suggestions.

FWIW, /dev/hda2 is where I'll put any Linux installation, /dev/sda2 is where XP is, and /dev/hda1 is where boot is loaded.

Thank you all in advance for your time and expertise.

Sincerely,

H