Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
When I connect to my ISP using KPPP, why is it that I cannot access any websites through any web browsers? But when I'm connected through the network device control ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KPPP Question

When I connect to my ISP using KPPP, why is it that I cannot access any websites through any web browsers? But when I'm connected through the network device control panel, it works fine. Just wondering why this is.

Linux Engineer
    have you configured it well?if yes have you checked the firewall options?maybe something there blocks your ppp0 interface..
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Could I get a quick walkthrough for configuring it, to see if I missed something? If the firewall is blocking my PPP0 interface, wouldn't I not be able to access the web when I connect through the network device control?

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    try add
    Code:
    net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
    in your /etc/sysctl.conf. May work if it is the ECN problem, but may not be this problem, too.

Linux Engineer
    you can't open web pages if your internet connection (ppp interface or eth0 )is not working..check if firewall has blocked them for security reasons and try to disable it in order to check if you can open pages then,...
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Ok, I've read of other people having this problem too, using KDE, but no replies as to why this is. If I use the network device control panel and activate the modem from there, I can access web content just fine. But when I use KPPP to dial out with the modem, it connects just fine, but the browsers will not access any web content. So it seems like linux and/or the browsers don't realize that it is connected.

Just Joined!
    I've posted the same question, but had no answer Someone please help us.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I've figured out what the problem is. KPPP will not work with dialup unless you supply KPPP with your ISP's DNS IP addresses. It needs these DNS nubmers to make sense of anything it is trying to get to through the internet. Hope this helps anyone else who has this problem, like you gumbald.

Just Joined!

Another alternative for kppp

I have problems when I try to connect by KPPP, so I discovered that I can connect using the "Internet Configuration Assistent" which is in the "System Tool" menu.
    (I am using Fedora 2)

This tip could work for you too!

Anibal G.

Just Joined!
    i tried RH before and experienced that. you should set on the network control panel to enable it at boot time. somehow it is blocked by default

also try to take a look if you have /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/ppp/resolv.conf

i'm not an expert but it worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast