Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HI every body please help me out I HAVE INSTALL RED HAT LINUX 9 ON MY P4 MACHINE . DURING INSTALLATION I HAVE ENTERED ROOT PASSWORD AND CREATED A USER ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Can't Login As Root In Red Hat

HI

every body please help me out

I HAVE INSTALL RED HAT LINUX 9 ON MY P4 MACHINE . DURING INSTALLATION I HAVE ENTERED ROOT PASSWORD AND CREATED A USER ACCOUNT ALSO.
    WHEN I LOGIN IN GRAPHICAL SCREEN THROUGH USER ACCOUNT IT WORKS BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I ENTER USERNAME AS root AND THE password
    IT SAYS "
    ADMINISTRATOR IS NOT ALLOWED TO LOGIN FROM THIS SCREEN "

I JUST NOT UNDERSTAND ????
    IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY TO LOGIN AS ROOT

PLEASE SEND ME THE SOLUTION I HAVE ALREADY TRIED MUCH BUT ALL IN VEIN

MY ROOT PASSWORD IS CORRECT I AM SURE

oz
    forum.guy
    Lots of distros disable root logins by default. There shouldn't be many reasons to ever have to login as root user because you can use the su command as regular user to gain root permissions.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanx for the reply ozar
    i know about the su command but still when gain root power through su suppose and in start menu when i try to open hardware browser it ask me enter the root password , it means simply i am not login as root this is my main problem

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Did you try to login from the Command Line Interface, are you getting some error ? Try to login form CUI and then init 5 .

Just Joined!
    thanx anup i will try this

Here's another one wanting to log in as root! Well, we all want to do it at the beginning. Don't log in as root, it's as simple as that. Doing so is extremely dangerous. Not only do you disable one of Linux's greatest security features, you can also send to the system paramtres that can cause havok just by running a graphical application as root.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

You have had some good advice already about not logging in as root. For CLI then either su or sudo are used to gain root rights when required. For GUI activities kdesu or gksu are used to start applications with root rights. Although this approach may seem a little long winded it is worth taking the extra effort and working this way rather than login as root.

Some applications will ask you for the root password when required, in these cases you are best to start the application as a normal user and enter the root password when needed.

In all cases when you gain root rights you have access to the whole system, all user accounts, system configuration etc - so it's worth thinking ... does this application/activity really need root access?

Just Joined!
    thanx Manchunian and Jonathan183 i will seriously consider your advice and work as normal user

thanx once again

For GUI activities kdesu or gksu are used to start applications with root rights.
    Let me just comment on this. I said earlier that running graphical applications as root can be dangerous. If you try to do this, most distros (all distros?) will stop you. Try it. Open a terminal, su to root and run a graphical application via the command line, firefox, say. If you try this you'll most likely get an error. kdesu (in Kde) and gksu (in Gnome) enables you to run a single graphical application as root. I don't know if these commands make any temporary changes to the system so that running graphical applications under root is safe, but they do make it possible. Actually, that's quite an interesting question: does anyone know the answer?

Edit:: we posted at the same time akhilsoni! Glad to be of service! Once you get the hang of using the command line to accomplish admin tasks (and it will take a bit of getting used to at first) you'll find that it's no problem at all - and you'll even wonder why Microsoft ever made it possible to run as a perminant administrator!
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    ya u are right actually i am a novice in this linux field thats why i facing trouble in operating things
    but i am trying hard to leran linux its an wonderful os
    so i hope Manchunian u will help me out every time
    i hope i am right!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast