Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can someone point me in the right direction, I'm trying to create an INIT script for a program that I created. I've been unable to find a good readme file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help creating INIT Script

Can someone point me in the right direction, I'm trying to create an INIT script for a program that I created. I've been unable to find a good readme file that explains it well enough. I just want the Daemon to start and stop when the system starts and shutdown.

Hi, keanesf! Welcome to LinuxForums!

Have you tried to modify tour /etc/xinetd.conf file? You should be able to add an entry to it to start and stop your services.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I don't have an xinetd.conf file on my system. Xinted is installed though. The only file in my etc in Xinted.d. Should I create a config file?

Linux Guru
    The xinetd service listens for incoming network connections and starts the corresponding program when the correct port is hit. I don't think this is what the OP is asking for.

OP, take a look at your existing init scripts for guidance.

They usually sit in the /etc/init.d directory - one fairly universal one is /etc/init.d/sshd

First Google hit

Just Joined!
    Yeah I've read that article that you pointed out from Google search, I found it hard to read and confusing. I did find a better explation of creating init scripts at Linux: Create your own init.d scripts | Hackosis

thanks for you help