I'm going to go ahead and quote what I posted elsewhere. I'm new to linux, and hopefully will have a box running Fedora R2 by this afternoon...

(I posted this here because of more traffic)

Hi I'm new here! First of all, I have "played" around with Linux a few years ago, but I have no real experience with Linux, let alone setting up an IMAP mail server

I work for a small business that has 12+ users and one Win2k domain controller. We currently use Outlook Express on each client PC, which in turn receives email using POP3 mail accounts as provided by our ISP. However, managing OE store folders and message rules is a real PITA when users have roaming profiles. Also, each computer has to download messages individually (for a shared email address), eating up a lot of bandwidth in the process!

Therefore, I would like to simplify the process of sending/receiving and managing stored emails thorugh the use of a Linux-based IMAP mail server...

I want to do the following:

1. Build a Linux box out of spare parts (PIII 800MHz, plenty of RAM and disk space if necessary). This machine will only be used as a mail server!

2. The mail server will download emails from our ISP's POP3 accounts. It will send emails via our ISP's SMTP servers

3. Client email programs will point to our internal Linux box for sending/receiving emails (mail.ourdomain.com). I also want it to recognize email addresses on our own domain name, so when employees send emails to each other internally, it will not be sent out iver the internet to their POP3 box, and back down to our local Linux box.

4. The linux box will need a good anti-spam solution (commercial if necessary)

5. Create/install a simple interface to manage email boxes (quotas, creation, vacation/forwarding, etc.). Preferrably web-based

6. I will eventually forward the appropriate ports on our NAT router to make our mail server accessible to employees outside of the office (like me). Obviously, we would need an smtp-auth solution to prevent spammers from using our SMTP server!

7. Webmail will be an added plus!

I understand that using our existing POP3 accounts is a "dumb" idea, but I cannot guarantee that the Linux box will be up 24/7. If the power were to go out for an extended period of time, I'd hate to have emails from our clients "bounce back."

Anyways, I've briefly looked at the different solutions available (SME, squirrel mail, etc.), but am not sure if they will fit our needs, since I do not have a working Linux box available. Can you guys point me in the right direction? I will have all the time in the world to build a custom solution, learning as I go...

Thanks,
Pranav.
ok tell me if this is a good route to take:

1. Install Fedora (release 2; I'm downloading it right now)

2. Get used to using Linux again, and update necessary files.

3. Figure out how to manage the linux box remotely over my LAN from a computer running WinXP Pro (I can VPN into LAN from home too)?

3. Install courier IMAP, qmail, fetchmail, and SpamAssassin, using install guides, faqs, and forum help along the way.

4. Move 1 or 2 users over to this new linux mail server, and find all of the shortcomings, and fix them.

5. Once I have the linux mail server running how I want it to, install the fancy stuff (Webmail, web management, etc.)

Which email server programs should I use for the following?

Sending mail (qmail, sendmail, postfix, etc.)
Spam filtering
Anti-virus filtering
Archiving emails