Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently lost the ability to boot to windows after a bad SP1 update install. I want to recover my files that are on the HD with SystemRescueCD. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SystemRescueCD help in recovering my files

Hi, I recently lost the ability to boot to windows after a bad SP1 update install. I want to recover my files that are on the HD with SystemRescueCD.

I found this on another forum
    "If your goal is to save the data on the laptop, you're in great shape! The fact that you can successfully find and mount the NTFS partition means that you can use a wide variety of methods with the SystemRescueCD to grab a copy of the files you want. You can use floppies, an external hard drive, or a USB stick and transfer the files to it. If you have at least one more computer and a network, you can mount an SMB/CIFS share from another system (i.e. "map a network drive") and then copy the files to the network share. You can use FTP. The possibilities are endless."

I was wondering if someone could help me out with this process. I do have an external harddrive and a couple of spare USB's. Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    Okay so I loaded up SystemRescueCD and then I typed in wizard to get to the graphical interface. Anyone know the next step?

Just Joined!
    Will it be easier to locate and transfer my files if I use a different live cd, such as Ubuntu?

It really shouldn't matter to much which LiveCD you choose to employ. But to recover your Windows files, you're going to have to first mount the NTFS partition so that it's accessible from Linux. This link should help you out in that regard. After mounting it, you should be able to locate and transfer your data.

Good luck!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I mounted the HD using

ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/window

then i typed

ls /mnt/windows

and I see some files that are highlighted in green and some that are not

How exactly do I transfer files onto another medium? I'm also a little confused as to how to navigate around in linux..

cd \(folder name) is to go into that folder right?

Just Joined!
    Also, this is a side question...

I'm getting this error message when I boot up windows

NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt
    (i've tried the vista fixes for it and they are not working)

Is there a way to fix this problem with systemrescuecd?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    It really shouldn't matter to much which LiveCD you choose to employ. But to recover your Windows files, you're going to have to first mount the NTFS partition so that it's accessible from Linux. This link should help you out in that regard. After mounting it, you should be able to locate and transfer your data.

Good luck!
    The link was very confusing to me

I typed in

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -t ntfs -o,ro

and it said

mount: special device /dev/hda1 does not exist

After mounting the Windows partition, you'll also have to mount your other media the same way (like a USB drive or something). Then execute
    Code:
    cd /<name_of_directory>
    to get into the directory that you need. Execute
    Code:
    mv <name_of_file> <destination_directory_name_of_file>
    By that, I mean just locate filename.txt in whatever directory it is, and use mv to move it over to new directory (on your USB drive).

Explanation of mv command
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    I ended up buying an HD enclosure to get my files off. Thanks for all of the help though.. I'm just too inexperienced with linux!!