Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux and would appreciate your thoughts on this: I have a number of accounts on my system and used to be able to log in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to log in unless using root account

Hi,
    I'm pretty new to Linux and would appreciate your thoughts on this: I have a number of accounts on my system and used to be able to log in with any of them. Recently, something must have changed as I can no longer log in with anything but the root account. I first noticed this when using PuTTY for remote access.
    This is where it gets a little bizarre! If I try to log on with an account other than root and I type an incorrect password I am informed that the password is incorrect and prompted to enter it again. If I type the correct password returned to the login prompt. If I do the same using PuTTY I am returned to the login prompt if I enter an incorrect password and if I enter the correct password the session ends with an error (Network error: software caused connection abort).
    If I log in as root and su to another account I receive a permission denied message but if I type whoami the account appears to be the specified user. If I su - to the new account I do not receive an error message. This may, of course be totally unrelated!
    I did find an article that suggested that the problem mat be related to permissions on some files / directories. The following was correct:
    /etc 755
    bashrc 644
    /home/useraccount directory 740

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

What is the default shell for each of these users? If they are disabled it might be something like /bin/false.
    Code:
    awk -F: '{print $7}' </etc/passwd
    That would explain them logging out again.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick response. The default shell for the users is /bin/bash. There are a couple of (old) accounts that are set to bin/false but not the ones that I have been using.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    there are many issues tht can keep someone from logging in (beside the file permission that u say have already checked)
    i ll try address few of them

1. nologin -> ur shell mightbe false or nologin, sheck in /etc/passwd to see ur shell
    2.expired acount -> chage -l username wil display the acc info
    3. user being locked -> if u see "!" before the encrypted passwd of tht user in /etc/shadow try usermod -U username this will unlock the account
    4.check for missing /etc/shadow or /etc/passwd or /etc/group or /etc/securetty (or commented tty name in last file), bust since u can log in as superuser this hardly can be the case. if u identify the problem as one of these do get back i ll may try givin the workin solution in detail

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the ideas:
    shell is ok
    accounts are not expired
    No ! before passwords in passwd file
    All files are in place
    Back to the drawing board .....