Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want a program that can stream video and not pay 20 for s few drivers what is the best can VLC be used. I really dislike totem in general....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Free alternitive to totem

I want a program that can stream video and not pay 20 for s few drivers what is the best can VLC be used. I really dislike totem in general.

Linux Guru
    I believe VLC can be used for that. I know Kaffeine has network broadcast tools if you want to send video.

What is it you dislike about Totem?

Just Joined!
    The main reason I dislike totem is because it's not free, Half the reason i use linux is because i never have to pay for software and totem charging me extortianate prices for drivers just annoys me.

I want to listen to radio stations and play music online what driver do I need to install for VLC to use it for streaming, also how do i make it my default internet player.

Linux Guru
    What are you talking about? Totem is free. It is 100% open source. Perhaps you are being directed to a page to buy the Fluendo codecs? This is not related to Totem, this is a distro implemented way of giving people the option to buy legitimate codecs.

However Xine and Mplayer (and of course Gstreamer with the bad/ugly plugins) will play pretty much anything out there. Totem uses either Xine or Gstreamer as a backend...it doesn't have any codecs of its own.

Just Joined!
    Ok so apperently gstream and all the plugins are already installed, I thought it wouldn't work because i didn't buy those codecs but it should work, I have fedora9 and firefox 3 but it just will not stream anything i love linux but this is just winding me up i can't find an answer to my problem. On another forum i found(someone with the same problem) it said install xine which is already there everything is there as it should be why am i being told to buy expensive codecs still?

Quote Originally Posted by computerspissmeoff View Post
    i love linux but this is just winding me up i can't find an answer to my problem.
    All those problems will go away by purchasing Red Hat Enterprise. But you don't want to purchase software. I guess you'll have to use Fedora which does not include all the costly patented software so you can download and use it free. But if you run a free distro, and use free software, you will be required to open the hood and do a little tinkering so that it will work like Red Hat Enterprise. Hmmm. Sounds like a bargain to me.

If you don't like Totem, you could try Mplayer and the Mplayer plugin for Firefox which has worked satisfactorily for me. You can find the codecs at the Mplayer website if you cannot install them somehow via yum.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru

Just Joined!
    thanks you guys I will try all those things