Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi every body, this is my first post in this forum. I have a partitioned PC running XP and fedora 6. I wanted to access files across the partition and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Urgent, PC not booting !

hi every body, this is my first post in this forum.

I have a partitioned PC running XP and fedora 6.
    I wanted to access files across the partition and was suggested IFS driver (Ext2 IFS For Windows) by a friend.
    I installed the IFS on my PC in the XP part. It created a new drive. When I rebooted, the PC is not booting at all.
    it used to give me the options of fedora 6 and XP, with fedora as the default.
    now it says only "bashlike line editing is allowed" !! and then I get the grub prompt.
    I guess my mistake lies in ignoring an option that asked me to disable large file transfers for old Linux releases. I guessed my release was new enough, so I didn't bother.
    I'm not very knowledgeable about this things and my whole job is in peril !

anyone faced this kind of problem before ?? what am I supposed to do now ? Please help me out fellows !
    In distress,
    Rahul.

Hi and Welcome !

Type this at grub> prompt :
    Code:
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    Does Windows OS boot up?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    hi devils, you are great man !! yes Win Xp is booting.
    but I need to take a file back up from the linux side.
    i'll then strip it and install fed 9.
    any suggestions ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    and I don't have a live CD.

What type of partitions did you create during Fedora installation? In case, partitions are formatted in ext3 filesystem, install fs-driver in Windows OS. It will mount Linux Partitions in Windows and you will have read/write access.

Try to re-install GRUB. Boot up from Fedora installation CD/DVD and type linux rescue at boot: prompt. It will drop you at shell prompt.
    Execute this at shell prompt :
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    grub-install /dev/sda
    exit 
    exit
    Machine will reboot and GRUB will be back in business. In case it doesn't work, replace sda with hda in grub-install command.

Linux Newbie
    Devils casper, I have yet to see you get stumped yet! Kudos for taking the time to help us all out.

Just wanted to mention to the OP that I downloaded a program called Super Grub Bootloader, and that thing has saved my tail countless times over the past several months when I find myself in similiar situations after playing around with Fedora trying to figure out how everything works. Will post a link to it as soon as I find the download page....it's a nice little thing to have.

Quote Originally Posted by flynismo View Post
    Devils casper, I have yet to see you get stumped yet! Kudos for taking the time to help us all out.

Just wanted to mention to the OP that I downloaded a program called Super Grub Bootloader, and that thing has saved my tail countless times over the past several months when I find myself in similiar situations after playing around with Fedora trying to figure out how everything works. Will post a link to it as soon as I find the download page....it's a nice little thing to have.
    Hi flynismo !

Thanx for suggestion !

SuperGRUB is a very good tool for fixing Boot Problems. I didn't suggest SuperGRUB to OP because unlike other distros, its easy to re-install GRUB using Fedora installation CD/DVD only.

Just Joined!
    devils, sorry for not replying earlier. first of all let me thank you again for the help !
    tu si great ho yaar !!

was busy for the past month and out of town, so could get back to PC only today.

installed FC9 but there is a problem. a couple in fact.

a) I had somehow removed the non root user when upgrading from fc5 to fc6.
    I had to always log in as root.

no idea how that happened but the problem persists in this one too.

b) after I login as root, gave the "startx" command but it didn't work. the screen just showed the cursor arrow and a greyish screen. the lower panel was partially visible I think.

Just Joined!
    where are the linux gurus ??

a) I had somehow removed the non root user when upgrading from fc5 to fc6.
    I had to always log in as root.

no idea how that happened but the problem persists in this one too.
    Which version of Fedora are you using right now? Did you upgrade from FC5 to Fedora 9?

b) after I login as root, gave the "startx" command but it didn't work. the screen just showed the cursor arrow and a greyish screen. the lower panel was partially visible I think.
    Execute this
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast