Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to work out how I can configure sshd (on Redhat linux) so that I can have different authentication on different ports. For example I'm trying to achieve ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question different authentication on different ports - how can I achieve this???

Hi,

I'm trying to work out how I can configure sshd (on Redhat linux) so that I can have different authentication on different ports. For example I'm trying to achieve the following:
    * Port X - use PubkeyAuthentication (no ChallengeResponseAuthentication) - this port is open via the firewall (external access)
    * Port Y - use only ChallengeResponseAuthentication - use only internally (i.e. port is blocked at firewall)

Q1 - Is there a way to achieve this within one sshd process / one configuration file? If so how would the config look?

Q2 - If not how could I achieve this? Run two separate sshd's? If yes can you give me a couple of pointers re how to do this please? (I'm on redhat linux) Also on this topic I'm wondering how the "service" command would fit in. Currently I can use "service sshd restart" to restart my existing sshd process. If I were to be running two I'm wondering what would need to be done so I could use the "service" command on each of them separately?

Thanks in advance
    Greg

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi Greg,

I've not really investigated this but....

You will need to run "n" instances of sshd with different configuration files so that you can configure the behavior your after.

Regarding "service", simply copy /etc/init.d/sshd to /etc/init.d/sshd2 (or whatever)

The script will need tweaking though.
    Your new script will need to touch different lock files and add the -f <config file> optiob where sshd is started/restarted
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.