Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey. Ok, I seriously need help with the XF86config file. All the tutorials say switch "NV" to "Nvidia" and I do, and after I do that every time I end ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XF86...more troubles!

Hey. Ok, I seriously need help with the XF86config file. All the tutorials say switch "NV" to "Nvidia" and I do, and after I do that every time I end up with
    1) a blank screen
    2) A screen saying that there is no graphics

both fail to boot, so I end up reinstalling. People have been telling me to edit different files since Im using Fedora core 2. some people told me to edit Xorg which has the same info on it. I have no real XF86config. I have XF86config.sample, but thats the closest thing. Please can someone explain how I can get this working.

Problem: Error loading GLX module in Game after splash screen (Game crashes)
    Looking for: Way to fix this

thanks,
    Rob

Linux Engineer
    Use nvidia not Nvidia

If you have no XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file then run xf86setup or xf86config as root.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    oh, yea I did do nvidia sry. Ok so I go to terminal and just type xf86setup? k thx a lot! I appreciate it

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: XF86...more troubles!

Quote Originally Posted by robinbastien
    Hey. Ok, I seriously need help with the XF86config file. All the tutorials say switch "NV" to "Nvidia" and I do, and after I do that every time I end up with
    1) a blank screen
    2) A screen saying that there is no graphics

. . .

Problem: Error loading GLX module in Game after splash screen (Game crashes)
    Looking for: Way to fix this

thanks,
    Rob
    People were right, Fedora Core 2 uses X.org rather than XFree86, so the file you need to play with is Xorg.conf if I'm not mistaken. It has the same information in it. Here's an outline of how I get my nvidia cards to work in Fedora Core 2.

1. Download the nvidia Linux IA32 driver from their website.
    2. Boot into console mode (non-graphical)
    3. Log in as root
    4. Run the nvidia install script (.sh file)
    5. Open up the file /etc/X11/Xorg.conf in a text editor
    6. Comment out (put a # at the beginning of the line) the lines that say "Load DRI" and "Load GLCore" if they exist to begin with.
    7. Change the "Driver" in your "Devices" section that deals with your video card to "nvidia" instead of "nv". It's case sensitive, all lowercase.
    8. Reboot into X, or just log in as a normal user and type startx.
    9. If you see the Nvidia logo splash on your screen just before it starts, all is well.

Now, if you're having trouble with a specific game, (rather than just getting X to run to begin with) let us know what game and what version and we can probably help you out there.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Alright. I did the exact thing (Load DRI was there but not Load GLcore). I Ended up with another blank screen after it loaded the kernel. Does it have anything to do with having an unknown moniter? Because My monitor isnt in the list when I install it, and when I choose the closest model to it, it displays a blank screen.

Thanks,
    Rob

Linux Engineer
    take the manual of your monitor if you have it and then see the frequencies(horizontal-vertical)and just edit your XF86config file..
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    hmmmm I dont have the manual. well is that very important to get the drivers working?

Quote Originally Posted by robinbastien
    hmmmm I dont have the manual. well is that very important to get the drivers working?
    What sort of monitor do you have? You might be able to do a search to get some ballpark sync ranges for that type of monitor. I know my monitor wasn't detected by default but I was still able to get it running using the "Monitor capable of 1280x1024@74kHz" setting in xf86config.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    the drivers are needed if you want to play games like ut2004 which requires 3dsupport ..if have them installed you can also have more frequencies available(& resolutions)..
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    would there be a way to find this out without the manual?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast