Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cannot search man pages

Guys,

New to Linux here. I have installed Linux 9 on an i386 box. I try the "make whatis" command which has worked for me in Solaris, but I get back the following message: make: ***No rule to make target 'whatis'. Stop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Have you done ./configure before make?

Armage

No. The man pages are there, but I cannot do a man -k "keyword" , or an arpropos command for that matter. I vaguely remember using a .configure command from within a directory to install apps, but not to set up the man database.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What distro do you use?

Redhad 9. I installed it bloated with everything. I basically want to tool around with it for a couple of months just to pick up where I left off and get comfortable with Linux again. Then, I play to wipe it clean and install the minimal options to set up Snort on it.

Then you should be able to install the man pages through up2date if that's still around. If not, check out yum or apt-get for redhat.

Kriss

I think you misunderstand. Man pages are installed. I just need help creating the whatis database.

Linux Newbie
    I believe Redhat comes with a "makewhatis" command, have you tried that?

Yeah, only I tried "make whatis"...god I'm a dope. I new I was rusty, but this is ridiculous. Thanks a million.