Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys how are you, please help me out, the problem started here. I tried to burn a CD, when I pressed "Write Disk" it displayed for half a second ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't start GNOME or Install it on fc7, problem with Nautilus

Hello guys how are you, please help me out, the problem started here.

I tried to burn a CD, when I pressed "Write Disk" it displayed for half a second the writing progress window and then in disappeared with no explication.
    I don't know if this had to do with the fact that I previously deleted all the content of the TMP folder. However I tried rebooting and rebooting many times and I couldn't record any CD's.

After that, I had the less than brilliant idea to uninstall the Nautilus Burn program, I uninstalled it, and then the problems started I couldn't even start Open Office Aplications, so I installed it again hoping I could write CDs now but the problem remained. And still couldn't launch openoffice.

Well so I restarted the computer, I entered the login and password and GNOME didn't start, I just got this black screen with xclock and xterm and mozilla (thanks God), well, I read at another forum that I might be able to solve this by installing Gnome again, so I used this command:

yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Envirnment"

and it starts ... Setting up Group... etc, and then it says some package installed and some set to be updated... its a long list and at the end I get this errors:

Error: MIssing Dependency: NetworkManager = 1:0.6.5-2.fc7 is needed by package NetworkManager-gnome

Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.3 is needed by package yelp
    Error: Missing Dependency: gnome-bluetooth-libs = 0,8,0-4.fc7 is needed by package gnome-bluetooth.

Please help me out, what can I do?

THANK YOU.

Nautilus is a part of Gnome-core packages. Didn't you notice that a lot of Gnome package were removed during Nautilus un-install?
    Try to re-install GNOME Desktop Environment again and if it doesn't work, back up data and re-install OS.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thank you for replying to my post.
    Yeah, now I recall it, but at the time I didn't give any attention to that. I am new to Linux and I made that mistake. I have tried as you tell me to install Gnome again with this command, yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment" and it starts to work and at the end it gives me those 3 errors of missing dependencies. Isn't there a way to fix those depencies without having to reinstall the OS?

Thank you very much again for reading.

Luis.

Just Joined!
    Oh I forgot to say something, when I am at the black screen with no GNOME, and I type "nautilus" at the Terminal, I get a lot of things from Gnome, like the Desktop, that has been very helpful but I don't get to see my Desktop Bar, where you have the Menus, Settings and all that. I was wondering if there is a way to bring that back. Thank you.

Post the output of this :
    Code:
    uname -a
    Are Nautilus and other packages working fine now?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Output of uname -a

Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.23.15-80.fc7 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 17:29:10 EST 2008 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

What happens is the following: I enter my username and password and it takes me to a black screen with the xclock, a terminal window and a Mozilla Window with access to the Internet. There in the terminal I type "nautilus" and there I can see the background I had before everything crashed, and a Window named Desktop, where I have all my desktop icons, and If I know the name of a program I can type it at the terminal and run it, but I can't see the bar with the menus, Settings and all that, plus windows are very weird because they don't have the option to close and everything looks a bit arcaic. Thank you for helping me out.

Luis.