Find the answer to your Linux question:
My configuration: HP ProLiant ML370 G3 server HP Smart Array 6400 Controller 6 x 68GB Ultra320 SCSI disks in a hardware RAID 5 array Red Hat Enterprise Edition ES v3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ext3 partition losing ACLs

My configuration:
    HP ProLiant ML370 G3 server
    HP Smart Array 6400 Controller
    6 x 68GB Ultra320 SCSI disks in a hardware RAID 5 array
    Red Hat Enterprise Edition ES v3 Update 2
    (fwiw) samba-3.0.4-6.3E

Most of the disk space is allocated to / which is an ext3 partition with ACLs enabled. This is our main file server for the office which is delivering files through Samba to Win2K and WinXP clients. Samba is configured to authenticate through AD (again, fwiw).

We're experiencing multiple cases per day (about 6 - where a user will complain about inaccessability of files. On investigation we find that the folder they're trying to access has lost its default ACL entries. As a result files and directories created within that folder will have inadequate permissions for the user to access them.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce the problem on demand but it's growing into a significant problem. I've seen enough cases to confirm that ACLs are being *lost*, rather than new objects just not getting them, and that worries me greatly.

To be honest, I don't know if this is just an ext3 problem or if Samba is mixed in with it somehow. Since no files are accessed by users except through Samba we've only seen the problem show up through Samba, and since I can't reproduce the problem I can't test it outside of Samba. However, since directores and files are losing ACLs my first instict is that it's an ext3 problem.

Can anybody suggest ways to tackle this problem? Suggestions on how to gather diagnostic data would also be welcome.

-Ed

Just Joined!

DEBIAN, same problem

Hello,

same problem here. I tried to upgrade the kernel to 2.6

It seemed to solve the problem, until this week. Users keeps complaining every day about losing their ACL.

Googling for this didn't tell me what to do, I'm perplex. Maybe using another FS would solve the problem, but those servers are production servers, and I can't do this operation

If you have more infos about the problem, please tell me !

Thx

Just Joined!
    sounds like ACL are lost when using commands like CVS. Maybe there's no "#include acl.h" in cvs ???

Just Joined!
    I find a clue : Cfenfine was running on the file (changing ownet and perms) when the ACL where lost. This is certainly the source of the problem.