Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to have different language settings for different accounts? Can you divide these into groups? Like accounts in the "French" group would have the OS in French?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How? To have different language settings for different group

Is it possible to have different language settings for different accounts? Can you divide these into groups? Like accounts in the "French" group would have the OS in French?

Linux Engineer
    i don't think that you can do so...
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Newbie
    Sure you can. Every user could have their own default language settings as long as administrator has installed the language package.

First, you should install the language package.

Then, you need to add this language support to your linux machine. Mine for example, I use Fedora Core 2 and I want to add Chinese support, so I edit my /etc/sysconfig/i18n like following:

Code:
    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
    SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:zh_CN.GB18030:zh_CN.GB2312:zh_CN.GBK:zh_HK.UTF-8:zh_HK:zh:zh_CN.UTF-8:zh_CN:zh_TW.UTF-8:zh_TW:en_US:en"
    SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
    You see here by default this machine is using English User Interface, but it also supports Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional right now.

The last step you should do is adding these lines in the account's environment. For gnome user, you should put these line in their ~/.gnomerc file:

Code:
    #locale
    export LC_MESSAGES="zh_CN.GB18030"
    export LC_TIME="zh_CN.GB18030"
    Say there are two users --- Jack and Jim, you modify the .gnomerc file under Jack's directory but not Jim's, next time when Jack logins to his gnome he will see he's using Chinese interface (though not completely, some programs are still using the English name) while Jim is not.

Good luck!

P.S. I don't know the locale for French so you have to figure it out by yourself.