Find the answer to your Linux question:
I migrated from Windows about 6 months ago to Linux. I started with Kubuntu and eventually landed on Fedora and so far, I've liked Fedora the best in spite of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Couple of newbie questions

I migrated from Windows about 6 months ago to Linux. I started with Kubuntu and eventually landed on Fedora and so far, I've liked Fedora the best in spite of disliking yum.

So my question is more or less and Linux question.. Now, Windows has a registery system that can (or will) get really cluttered if you don't take care of it and clean it from time to time. Also, Windows has a really inifeciant way to processing programs, expecially during start up that can slow the os down. For example, if you deleted or uninstalled a program incorrecly, stupid Windows will sit there, wasting time and energy trying to find it even though its not there.

Is there a way to safely "uninstall" programs with Linux? For example, if I install a program by compiling the source code, and I don't want it anymore, is it safe for me to just delete the directory and never think twice about it?

And on a side note, how to I control, either add or remove programs that start up when the OS boots? I'd like to have Amarok start up when I boot but I dunno how

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bdaedalus359 View Post
    So my question is more or less and Linux question.. Now, Windows has a registery system that can (or will) get really cluttered if you don't take care of it and clean it from time to time.
    The closest thing to the Windows Registry you'll find in Linux is the Gnome registry, which only applies if you're using the Gnome desktop and it doesn't really keep track of the same kinds of things. It basically just lets you fine-tune and tweak the look and feel of the Gnome environment.

Your distribution's package manager will keep track of what is installed, what isn't, and if there are any stray configuration files lying around from old uninstalls. These should be auto-removable from your package managing program (such as Synaptic).

Is there a way to safely "uninstall" programs with Linux? For example, if I install a program by compiling the source code, and I don't want it anymore, is it safe for me to just delete the directory and never think twice about it?
    The safest way to install/uninstall software is using the distribution's package manager. For Debian-based systems like Ubuntu that means using apt-get. For RPM-based systems, use yum.

If you aren't sure about whether or not you're going to keep something and want an easy way out in the future, DO NOT compile it from source. Use a precompiled package (preferably downloaded from a trusted official mirror) instead.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants