Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im starting to dabble in Linux and so far am really enjoying it. Here is what I have, so you helpful souls will know what Im driving at. Recently reconfigured ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora/RedHat questions from new guy

Im starting to dabble in Linux and so far am really enjoying it. Here is what I have, so you helpful souls will know what Im driving at.

Recently reconfigured my desktop to have Dual Boot system with WinXP Home on one HDD and RedHat 9. on another HDD. The dual boot thing is sweet. RedHat was smooth installing and am so far VERY impressed with this OS. I am almost certian that I will before long stop using Windows as my main operatiing system.

It was recomended by a trusted friend that I go with Fedora Core 1 instead of RedHAt 9. I had already downloaded and burned RedHat 9 to disks...so I went with it. I felt, hey this is my first real exposure to Linux, who care what version it is I can always format the drive with RedHat on it and install Fedora, right?

Now, as I understand it this Fedora thing is now like what RedHat used to be...free to dowload, free to use....with frequent changes/upgrades from the company, where as now RedHat 9 is no longer supported by its manufacturer.

Here is my question I guess...whats SO diffrent about RedHat 9.0 vs. Fedora?
    And with that how much diffrent is Fedora Core 1 vs. Fedora Core 2?
    Here is a big concern...I have read, though not fully understanding what was being said, that Fedora Core 2 and Windows Xp dont (or sometimes dont) get along, because of some MBR issues. Is this the case also with Fedora Core 1 and WinXP? I want be happy if I drop RedHat 9 for Fedora Core 1 only to have Core 1 crash my Windows XP. (Remember Im still not 100% converted)

So let me recap my questions so that someone might easly answer them

Should I expect problems with Dual Booting WinXP and Fedora Core 1?

As a beginner do I even NEED to play with Fedora at all?

Should I skip Core 1 and go for Core 2, if I go with Fedora at all?

Last one....can someone teach me how to enable Dual Monitors on my system as it is now? (Radeon 8500LE card, dual output, two 19" monitors, works great in WinXP...no clue how to make each monitor work "independently" like as in windows from RedHat 9. I need my monitor workpace! Not two monitors working the same images!)

Thanks for any advice in advance
    BrisketKing

Just Joined!
    download core 2

Sorry, im not a big fedora man personaly, but really if there are problems with fc2 and xp, then just use fc1 and wait for them to be resolved.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    brisketking, I suggest you use Fedora Core 2 because:
    1. You will have the newest version from Red Hat. Since you are a newbie to Linux, it would save you lots time to upgrade your system lately.
    2. The dead line for Red Hat 9 tech support is over already, so it doesn't make any differences which version you are going to use.
    3. You won't have any problem with the dual boot, even triple boot --- I use Red Hat distro from 7.2 ~ FC2, I personally didn't experience any boot problem with these versions. In fact, on one of my computers, I still have one hard drive with Windows XP, FreeBSD, and Fedora Core 2 on it. They all run perfect and no interruption.

Re: Fedora/RedHat questions from new guy

Quote Originally Posted by brisketking
    Here is my question I guess...whats SO diffrent about RedHat 9.0 vs. Fedora?
    Fedora Core is the Open Source project of Red Hat, They switched to paid and enterprise versions awhile ago.
    You can see FC1 as RH10 and FC2 as RH11... Basicaly.

And with that how much diffrent is Fedora Core 1 vs. Fedora Core 2?
    FC1 uses the old 2.4 kernel and Gnome 2.4.
    While FC2 uses the new 2.6.x kernel and Gnome 2.6
    and some other updates.
    Here is a big concern...I have read, though not fully understanding what was being said, that Fedora Core 2 and Windows Xp dont (or sometimes dont) get along, because of some MBR issues. Is this the case also with Fedora Core 1 and WinXP? I want be happy if I drop RedHat 9 for Fedora Core 1 only to have Core 1 crash my Windows XP. (Remember Im still not 100% converted)
    I run FC1 and FC2 on most system, incl Slack.
    One system us dual boot: FC2 and Windows XP.
    They both run perfectly.
    Both releases support NTFS support, allthough you'll need to download the drivers here .
    Be sure you check your kernel version first and download the right rpm module.

No.
    No.
    Since you're starting from/with scratch, skip FC1 and use FC2.

Last one....can someone teach me how to enable Dual Monitors on my system as it is now? (Radeon 8500LE card, dual output, two 19" monitors, works great in WinXP...no clue how to make each monitor work "independently" like as in windows from RedHat 9. I need my monitor workpace! Not two monitors working the same images!)
    Both have support for dual monitor

Thanks for any advice in advance
    BrisketKing
    You're welcome.

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Guru

Check out http://xfree86.org and read the manual page for /etc/X11/XF86Config
    Code:
    man XF86Config
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

BrisketKing
    ANS:1,no problems with fc1 and xp dual booting.
    ANS:2,go on, start using fedora.. it will be fun and nice learning environment.
    ANS:3,if you are still doubting installing fc2 with xp, do this.. install fc1(no probs with xp), then UPGRADE it to fc2(remember upgrade, not fresh install), this way you'll stay clear of any boot probs.