Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I am working on redhat enterprise 5 server and getting familiar how commands go in it means I am learning it with some tutorials. I work in run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Processor plateform warning redhat enterprise server

Hi guys,

I am working on redhat enterprise 5 server and getting familiar how commands go in it means I am learning it with some tutorials. I work in run level 3 in text mode. I have some video tutorials that I am following and learning from basics to redhat technician level.

But I have one problem with operating system or something. My system crashes during working. screen is ON but hard-disk shows not activity.

Situation:
    when I boot and start kernel ( 2.6.18-8.e15Xen). and it loads up everything. at [root@enterprise5 ~]#. I see a message " warning: processor plateform limit event detected, but not handled. consider compiling CPU frequency in kernel".
    after this message. it let me login though and I work. But during at anytime, system crashes. and I don't do any CPU hunger things.

I am a new user to redhat and linux world and trying to learn. If you guys give me some suggestions, Please give me all the directions to do so.

I am using Compaq f570 compaq laptop. Ram 1GB, Processor AMD 64 athalonX2. Booting is dual with Vista. Vista shows no problem. There is no heat sensor in my laptop that tells temperature and fan is working properly. Also vista runs fine.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    GOOGLE tells you, from the processor.h source code, that this is related to ACPI:

Code:
    +static inline int acpi_processor_ppc_has_changed(struct acpi_processor *pr)
    +{
        static unsigned int printout = 1;
        if (printout) {
    -      printk(KERN_WARNING "Warning: Processor Platform Limit event detected, but not handled.\n");
    -      printk(KERN_WARNING "Consider compiling CPUfreq support into your kernel.\n");
    +      printk(KERN_WARNING
    +             "Warning: Processor Platform Limit event detected, but not handled.\n");
    +      printk(KERN_WARNING
    +             "Consider compiling CPUfreq support into your kernel.\n");
           printout = 0;
        }
        return 0;
    The crash may/may not be related to ACPI, but loading the kernel with ACPI disabled is where you can start. This is a common issue with RedHat.

And unless you have a need, you may want to switch to the "normal" RedHat kernel vs. the Xen kernel you are using now.

2.6.18-8.e15Xen

Just Joined!
    I am a new user to redhat linux and understood what you are saying but when I boot up my computer I see this

-Red Hat enterprise linux serv (2.6.18-8.e15xen)
    -Other

Then I press e

-root (hd0,2) <------ If i run this system hangs up during booting
    -Kernel /Xen.gz-2.6.18-8.e15
    -module .vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-e15Xen ro root = /devyvolgroup00/logvolm rhgb quiet

- module /initrd -2.6.18-8.e15xen

Now with above mention, I have kernel that is only XEN. Should I enable ACPI? If yes then how?

I also have problem getting into GUI, It freezes on me. So I am forced to work only in Text mode. May be Nvidia video card.

what do you suggest me in this situation? Is there any bug free version that can run on my computers. I am just trying to learn and all these problems making it harder for me because I don't see these problems in tutorials.

yes, In tutorials, they are NOT using Xen kernel and install RHE server 5 just like mine. I never had option which kernel i have to choose to install.

thanks

Linux Guru
    You can Google for the noacpi option to append to your kernel boot to *disable* acpi.

Google for information about the Xen vs. non-Xen kernel:

If you are using an Installation Number when installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0.0 on a fully virtualized guest, be sure to deselect the Virtualization package group during the installation. The Virtualization package group option installs the kernel-xen kernel.

I am just trying to learn and all these problems making it harder for me because I don't see these problems in tutorials.
    I always find it *amazing* that when people *don't* know what they're doing (by their own admission), they are *surprised* when they run into problems. Hint: You're running an *enterprise* OS with the Xen kernel on your AMD Athlon LAPTOP. There is no easy way to say it, if you want to be an RHCE (or any decent network admin), start getting used to *troubleshooting.*