Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, As the subject states, I have a problem with my acer laptop's internal speakers: they don't seem to work! But the weird thing is that when I plug my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ACER laptop speakers not working

Hello,

As the subject states, I have a problem with my acer laptop's internal speakers: they don't seem to work! But the weird thing is that when I plug my desktop speakers to the headset outlet I get the sounds alright!

I have tried to go to the sound preferences, and it says that playback is in auto mode. I have also tried to manually select ALSA as the playback "driver" or whatever you can call it. But still no action.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Bump! Bump!

Linux Guru
    It could be that the speakers are just muted. Open alsamixer (install it if you don't have it), and look to see if the output is muted. If it is muted, it will have MM at the bottom, toggle it muted/unmuted with the m key.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Even with the mute off, i am facing the issue..

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    It could be that the speakers are just muted. Open alsamixer (install it if you don't have it), and look to see if the output is muted. If it is muted, it will have MM at the bottom, toggle it muted/unmuted with the m key.
    I will try that when I get home. But will I have output on the front jack even if it is muted?

Just Joined!
    Hey, I treid that and it seems that it is unmuted. It didn't show at the bottom as you said, but above the volume controls.

But I also found a possible solution at another web page, it told me to write the following:

Code:
    [hmyraune@localhost ~]$ amixer set PCM 100 unmute
    But this was that then came up:

Code:
    amixer: Unable to find simple control 'PCM',0
    Does this make any sense to any of you? Getting closer to the problem. It's weird because it is only the internal speakers that aren't working, jack speakers are working...