Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have installed RedHat 5 I have to install my Ethernet card ........I also have driver for it (SILAN sc92031) I am not able to install it, it says that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Network card installation in redhat

I have installed RedHat 5
    I have to install my Ethernet card ........I also have driver for it (SILAN sc92031)
    I am not able to install it, it says that the driver is only for kernel 2.4.6 or less
    when i checked my kernel version it was 2.4.18

Can anybody give me the driver for Silan microelectronics sc920312

Thanks in advance

I suspect you mean RedHat Enterprise Linux 5, not RedHat Linux 5 which was released, if I recall correctly, around about 1996...

Try the network card anyway, don't worry about drivers until you're sure you'll need them. Whenever I've had unsupported networking equipment, I've found the support has eventually been added to the kernel, so it may be there already.

If this isn't a gigabit network card, and I found it didn't work, I'd just go out and spend £3 (about $5US) on a realtek rtl8139 plain vanilla network card and use it instead; this really is a lot less hassle than trying to get an unsupported network card working.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Thanks for the reply
    but it does not show any network card in the configuration window
    so then how would i configure it
    I am new to linux and I am not able to connect my computer to internet in RedHat

Linux Guru
    If you actually have a 2.4.xx kernel, then I suspect that you may actually have Red Hat 5 installed. Post the output of this command:
    Code:
    uname -r
    If this is the case, your distro is so old, that it may not be worth the time and effort that it takes to keep it running correctly. It is no longer supported, and it will not get important security updates.

Save yourself some aggravation and install a newer version. Red Hat Fedora is a very good distro, the latest version is Fedora 9.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

The output was

2.4.18-53.e15

Linux Guru
    Do you know the name of the driver module for your card? This would help in finding out if it is supported in the latest 2.4 kernel. The latest is 2.4.36.7, and the sources can be downloaded from kernel.org. You would then need to compile the sources for the new kernel.

The name of the module is also needed to manually load it with the modprobe command.

Edit: I do see the driver (sc92031) for this card in my 2.6.26 kernel. Even more reason to upgrade, if you can.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

it is "Hangzhou silan microelectronics co."

Linux Guru
    That may be the name of the card, but not the driver module. I think that it is called sc92031, at least in the 2.6.kernel.

I have no way of running a 2.4 kernel, so I can't help much more. I still say that you should upgrade to the latest kernel from http://www.kernel.org. This will involve compiling a new kernel, if you can.
    Last edited by waterhead; 09-13-2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: fixed url

Thanks Paul

Linux Guru
    I did a little more research on this. I downloaded the latest 2.4.x kernel, and looked for the driver in it. There seems to be no mention of sc92031 in the kernel.

In doing a internet search, I came across some correspondence for the 2.6.xx kernel driver. It says that it is nearly identical to the Rsltek 8139D PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter .

/linux/drivers/net/sc92031.c

When I searched the 2.4 kernel source for 8139, I found a document about a 8139too driver. You could try to manually load this driver, except that I don't know the exact command to use for your kernel and driver. You can try various versions of this:
    Code:
     modprobe 8139too
    Or this
    Code:
    modprobe 8139too.c
    Or even try the original driver:
    Code:
    modprobe rtl8139
    Or:
    Code:
    modprobe rtl8139.c
    The driver source may be present in your kernel, but not compiled as a module. This then would require recompiling the kernel with the driver(s) enabled as modules.

If you have the source for your current kernel, you can look for the document that I found. It was in this folder:
    /Documentation/networking/8139too.txt

My command for loading a module may be incorrect for your kernel. Instead of the modprobe command, try using the insmod command.
    Code:
    insmod 8139too.c
    Of course, try the different variations of the module that I listed above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast