Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I am taking my first Linux course. I am installing Fedora on my personal computer. I have 12 GB of memory available. My question is: during the install I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help installing Fedora 2 on Windows XP

Hello,

I am taking my first Linux course. I am installing Fedora on my personal computer. I have 12 GB of memory available. My question is: during the install I am setting 3 partitions. On my first one I received a message "could not allocate partition as primary" if I choose to force it, will it damage my computer and/or contents in anyway? My second question is: if I set the mount for /usr will it allow me to pick which OS to boot from? i.e., XP or Fedora?

Welcome to the forums bruns1

You can only have 4 primary partitions on a single drive, one of these can be an extended partition which then contains logical partitions.

During the install process most Linux installers will automatically setup dual boot for you using a bootloader called Grub.

Just Joined!

install fedora dual boot

Yes, I know that makes sense, but If my XP OS using a portion of the drive and my projec is to set up 3 partitions for my Fedora install, does the error message "could not allocate partition as primary" mean my XP OS is allocated as primary (/root) so I cannot allocate fedora OS as primary? and if I choose the option to "force the allocation of primary to Fedorea OS, when the computer initially boots up, Fedora will be the OS that is chosen? or to be safe, can I choose the mount as /usr so that my XP remains my primary boot?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, bruns1

Just wondering... is it a must that you install Fedora 2?

It's really old now and you'd get much better hardware detection and results with a newer version. In fact, Fedora 2 gave me so many issues that I never installed Fedora again.

Just something to consider.

Hope it all works out well for you and your course is a huge success.
    oz

Just Joined!

Fedora install on XP

Unfortunately, yes Fedora 2 is a must because it is part of the course and what comes with the textbook.

Linux Guru
    If you have xp, that is one primary partition. Depending upon the brand of computer you may have another partition as a recovery partition. So what happened to the other two primary partitions? You should be able to use one of the primary partitions to create an extended partition in which to create as many logical partitions as you need. Linux does not need to be on a primary partition.

At what point do you get the message " could not allocate as primary partition"? How many primary partitions do you actually have?

Just Joined!

Fedora 2 install on XP OS

I have just started the install and chose "manually partition with disk druid" the next screen is Disk setup.

I chose "New," it asked to choose Mount Point, I chose "/root"
    File System, I chose " ext3" with hda as the only option for allowable drives.

Fixed Size --choosen
    hit OK and I get error message

Linux Guru
    How many xp partitions do you have, before trying to install Fedora? At the Disk Setup where you chose New, what were your other options?

Just Joined!
    THere are no other options. It just has Drive hda1, 38163 MB

Linux Guru
    What options besides 'New' did you have?
    What options besides /root did you have?
    If you have xp on it, probably it is taking up the whole drive as one partition and you will need to shrink the partition before you can create new ones. If you have been using xp for a while, you should run Disk Defragmenter before shrinking the partition. Don't know what tools Fedora 2 has to do this but you could download Parted Magic or GParted to do the job.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Linux terminology but, the hda refers to the first drive, the hda1 refers to the first partition on that drive which, with windows, usually amounts to the same thing. So, another question, how big is your hard drive?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast