Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i am a newbie in linux. Can someone tell me where i can find the files that contain all process status? Thanks for the help ^^...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where should i get the files that contain all running process?

Hello, i am a newbie in linux.
    Can someone tell me where i can find the files that contain all process status?
    Thanks for the help ^^

Hello and Welcome!

To find the status of your processes, try top.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Your other option, if you want a list of every process that's running, is to type
    Code:
    ps aux
    into a terminal.

top has the advantage that it gives more info on (for instance) CPU and RAM usage, and it updates itself (every second by default). However, unless you have very few processes running, or a very large screen, top will only show the "busiest" processes. ps aux just prints a long list of everything, so you'll probably have to scroll back up to find a particular one.

A useful trick (which you might well know, but it cant hurt to mention) is to use grep. If for instance you run
    Code:
    ps aux | grep firefox
    it will give a list of all the processes listed in the output from ps aux that have "firefox" in the name.

Hope that helps
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Wogh, thanks for the hope...anyway...where could i find the files that contain all this proces,
    for example :
    if i type ps -aux :
    root 2434 0.0 0.4 10220 2508 ? Ss Sep17 0:00 cupsd
    root 2453 0.0 0.3 7088 1980 ? Ss Sep17 0:00 /usr/sbin/gdm-b
    root 2454 0.0 0.0 1812 420 tty4 Ss+ Sep17 0:00 /sbin/mingetty
    root 2455 0.0 0.0 1812 420 tty5 Ss+ Sep17 0:00 /sbin/mingetty
    root 2456 0.0 0.0 1812 420 tty2 Ss+ Sep17 0:00 /sbin/mingetty
    root 2457 0.0 0.0 1812 420 tty3 Ss+ Sep17 0:00 /sbin/mingetty

there will be result like this....the user and the process id....
    where could i find the files that contain all the process that running (contain all process id number)?

ps reads from the /proc directory. If you look in there, you'll see a whole bunch of directories each named with a number. That number is the PID and represents a process. Within those directories is information about that process.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    ps reads from the /proc directory. If you look in there, you'll see a whole bunch of directories each named with a number. That number is the PID and represents a process. Within those directories is information about that process.
    Oh thanks! I look at it.....so basically, if i to know all process that running, i just have to look at the folder with number in /proc, ^^.
    At the first, i though that all the process id all saved to some file e.g process.txt or so

Thanks for the help..