Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys, sooo i just bought a domain from godaddy.com... and ive been reading alot on how to set up my webserver but all i can find is stuff for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

need help with FC8 webserver

hey guys, sooo i just bought a domain from godaddy.com... and ive been reading alot on how to set up my webserver but all i can find is stuff for ddns or some other dynamic dns tutorial. Im trying to figure out what i need to do so that when i type in my domainname into the browser my webpage comes up. right now if i put in my ip, it works just fine, but i need to get it all set up i guess... ive looked at bind but have not yet found a decent explanation on how to use it or what the config files should be like... id really appreciate the help thanks!

-Z
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

oz
    forum.guy
    If I'm understanding correctly, it usually takes a few days for your new address to propagate to DNS servers around the world so that you can pull up your new address my domain name. Pulling it up by IP address should work immediately.
    oz

That's exactly right, oz. Most DNS servers propagate new entries within around 48 to 72 hours. After that, typing in the URL for your site will work just fine.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

yes, i understand that, but i think what my problem is is that i never put in any IP addresses anywhere when i registered for my domain, so it doesnt know where my server is. I dont know how to i guess register my server with the domain name? do i just type my ip into godaddy somewhere in the management section or somehting? thanks for the replies guys

-Z
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

sorry for bumping this but does anyone know what i mean?

While I'm familiar with the actual workings of DNS and IP routing, I've never registered a domain or website for myself. So I'm kind of at a loss here. You may want to contact godaddy.com to find out if you should have entered IP at the time you registered your Domain.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.