Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to figure this thing out with no luck. If I've left any needed info out, just say so. I have a seagate 300G HD with an ntfs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unable to Mount Hard Drive

I've been trying to figure this thing out with no luck. If I've left any needed info out, just say so.

I have a seagate 300G HD with an ntfs format. This hard drive was originally a maxtor brand external drive. The case plug broke down, and so it was transfered into the computer (an emachine). Both as external and internal, the HD ran perfectly on Win XP.

On Fedora 8, however, I get the error:

TODO: Have to rethink extra options.

One. I don't understand this TODO thing. Two. The data on this HD is important, and doesn't have a backup since I don't have an extra 230 gigs laying around.

hi,

when do you get the error(when you try to open the disk? just after booting? ... )?
    what desktop are you using(gnome, kde)?
    can you (as root) mount the disk from command line?
    Linux and me it's a love story

The error occurs when I select the hard drive icon and click the mount option or yes, when I try to open the disk.

I haven't tried command line yet, I've been looking for the command to mount the hard drive. I do know how to use the root session, its just knowing the command.

KDE 3.5

Edit: The error was - TODO: have to rethink extra options

hi,

sorry for replying late(work , work and work. mannnn).

check this discussion out.

You're speaking to an independant contractor and Computer Networking Systems student at ITT. I know the pain...

I ran through the discussion. There seems to be a jiry rig solution and the simple 'mount as user' option. I guess my question is how do I disable to this option. I'm new to everything here, and googling reveals nothing.

Another question is this: Would switching over to Gnome be easy, and how big of a change would it be?

My version of F8 is the OS that'll be used in my future linux classes which include basic OS and networking. If Gnome would be all-around better than KDE, wouldn't affect the overall OS, and it would be easy enough for a n00b to install, I'd go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KNewtype View Post
    I ran through the discussion. There seems to be a jiry rig solution and the simple 'mount as user' option. I guess my question is how do I disable to this option. I'm new to everything here, and googling reveals nothing.
    im not running KDE right now but have you tried this
    1) right click the HD icon and open the properties
    2) tick off the "mount as user"

Another question is this: Would switching over to Gnome be easy, and how big of a change would it be?

My version of F8 is the OS that'll be used in my future linux classes which include basic OS and networking. If Gnome would be all-around better than KDE, wouldn't affect the overall OS, and it would be easy enough for a n00b to install, I'd go with it.
    changing desktop does not "affect" your system. using gnome or kde is just a matter of preference. you can install many desktops at the same time and use the one you like(if you have enough disk space).
    to switch to gnome you can do as follows
    1) install gnome
    open a terminal and do
    Code:
    su -
    yum -y groupinstall 'GNOME Desktop Environment'
    2) restart X
    Ctrl + Alt + backspace

3) during login choose Gnome as session

I got another error message:

org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed
    auth_admin_keep_always<-- (action, result)

The Gnome desktop is already looking more appealing...

I downloaded Gnome, and tried mounting it that way. The basic jist of the error was that the hard drive was already in use, and couldn't be accessed. It suggested to use window's 'safely remove feature' or use the terminal to force mount. Because of the value of the data, I need to know if a force mount will threaten the data.