Hey,

I am configuring sendmail server on RHEL 5.1. I did configure sendmail.mc file according to my needs but when ever i try to send email to one of my created user its status is Deffered.

[root@navigator etc]# sendmail -v shariq
test
shariq... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
shariq... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

This list of commands i runned uptil now

# vi sendmail.mc
# m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
# service sendmail restart
# /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q15m
# ps -ax | grep sendmail
# killall sendmail
# /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-mta -bd -q30m
# /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q15m
# ps -ax | grep sendmail

After running the last command i can see three process running the output is

# ps -ax | grep sendmail
Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See /usr/share/doc/procps-3.2.7/FAQ
2038 ? Ss 0:00 sendmail: accepting connections
2048 ? Ss 0:00 sendmail: Queue runner@00:15:00 for /var/spool/mqueue
2052 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep sendmail


i have also checked with # netstat -nltp
which showed that port 25 for Sendmail is running


by checking the clientmqueue

[root@navigator etc]# ls -l /var/spool/clientmqueue/
total 112
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 15 Sep 17 11:43 dfm8H6hBgw001405
-rw-rw---- 1 shariq smmsp 50 Sep 17 11:18 dfm8H6I8f4001239
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 6 Sep 17 11:20 dfm8H6KOwX001261
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 5 Sep 17 12:07 dfm8H76xfE001552
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 6 Sep 17 12:09 dfm8H78ug0001557
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 5 Sep 17 12:12 dfm8H7Cb4T001566
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 5 Sep 17 14:08 dfm8H98aBI002053
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 879 Sep 17 14:05 qfm8H6hBgw001405
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 868 Sep 17 14:05 qfm8H6I8f4001239
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 834 Sep 17 14:05 qfm8H6KOwX001261
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 607 Sep 17 14:05 qfm8H76xfE001552
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 642 Sep 17 14:05 qfm8H78ug0001557
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 642 Sep 17 14:05 qfm8H7Cb4T001566
-rw-rw---- 1 smmsp smmsp 594 Sep 17 14:08 qfm8H98aBI002053
[root@navigator etc]# whoami
root


Suggestions needed how to resolve the issue