Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I have the following very weird issue. File will work fine on the server after a while all the files change to read-only. What I do next is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    spk
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 8 samba issue

Hi guys,

I have the following very weird issue. File will work fine on the server after a while all the files change to read-only. What I do next is to go to the samba gui and go to the share double click>users untick one user and click ok. Then I go back and select the user and click ok. Then the read-only disappears again.
    Thanks

Hi spk,

I suggest you re-check your permissions on the samba share, or samba group membership to share.

I hope this is of help.

Jnike

spk
    Just Joined!
    Hi Jnike,

Thanks for the reply. The files was on xp machine and then we move it to the linux due to the number of users. some of the files like excel you change the permissions on the file to root and then it my change it to on of the users as the owner of the file.

Thanks

hi spk,
    as u say u copying file frm xp to linux, at tht time which user ur using to move file
    1. tht user has to be smb user
    2. set approcitate permission on folder to user or for all

spk
    Just Joined!
    Hi sunil_sutar,

Thanks for the reply. When I copy the files for the xp to the linux I did copy the files form the linux machine login as root specially for the read-only. After I have copy the files I selected all files and folders that have been copy form xp and change the owner to create/delete, and read/write.

Thanks