Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Linux so sorry for the dumb questions. Ok so... everybody is talking about this "sessions" tab that should list KDE if it is installed and you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] kde - fedora9 - session q

I am new to Linux so sorry for the dumb questions.
    Ok so... everybody is talking about this "sessions" tab that should list KDE if it is installed and you just select it on the list and you will be running KDE. So I downloaded Fedora 9 i386 DVD image off of the Fedora Website, installed everything (including additional software) and i also did hit customize now and selected for KDE along with all the other Desktop Enviroments to be installed. So now when I log in I see 3 buttons, "log in", "suspend" and "switch user", none of which say "sessions" anyhow I went to system>preferences>personal>sessions to get the "Sessions Preferences" box to come up.

My question is when I go to login how come there is no "sessions" tab and how do I switch from Gnome to KDE using the "Sessions Preferences' box I opened.

Also during installation it asks for a root password and you can only install certain stuff or do certain stuff as the root user so I put in a password, but what is the username? How do I log in to the root user account?

So my two/three questions are the following:
    Why is there no "sessions" tab on my login screen / how do I switch from Gnome to KDE from the "Sessions Preferences" box i pulled up.
    and
    How do I log in to be the root user.

Thanks for answering my questions as they are very noobish.

To log in as root, the user name is simply root.
    I'll have to check out the other question when I get home from work and can look at my Linux system.

Just Joined!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Mike View Post
    To log in as root, the user name is simply root.
    I'll have to check out the other question when I get home from work and can look at my Linux system.
    Thanks. I appreciate it. I thought that was how to login to the root. I thought i tried that, guess not. Let me know about the sessions tab / loading KDE4. Thanks again.

The only thing I can figure about the 'sessions' tab is that KDE isn't fully installed with all it's dependencies. Assuming you installed the whole KDE package, you may have to reinstall.

Just Joined!
    okay what would i have to do to install it. login as "root" and in the terminal type
    yum groupinstall KDE (K Desktop Enviroment) ?

Just Joined!
    anyways so i did yum groupinstall KDE in the terminal and got this...

Screenshot-rootlocalhost.png - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

you can click on it to zoom in.

There is no need to re-install KDE because you have installed it already.

Session Tab is available at Login Screen, a place where you enter UserID and Password. Look for various option at login screen. You can switch to any Desktop Environment from there only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

definitely no sessions tab

definitely no sessions tab or button. care to show me where this session button is on your login screen?

edit: found it. ahhhh you gotta click on your username first and then its all the way down in the bottom. who the **** would look there? anyhow. new question. how do i insstall a theme for it? sorry im such a linux noob. gotta learn somehow and asking you guys seems the best way. i mean i am reading an 800 page book on RHEL / FEDORA but i cant ask it questions.

edit: figured theme out. nevermind
    Last edited by digital.con; 09-21-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: figured it out