Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! I m using internet using GPRS connection using motorola L9 Mobile to my PC to windows OS . I am very new to Linux (Red Hat). I dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow GPRS- Connection

Hi there!
    I m using internet using GPRS connection using motorola L9 Mobile to my PC to windows OS . I am very new to Linux (Red Hat). I dont know how to use internet access using gprs connection on linux (Red Hat).
    I use software Motorola tools in windows system to access internet. But i did not find software for linux. Even if there would be any software for linux, i dont know how to install on linux os. Please Help me....
    thnx...

Linux Enthusiast
    The first thing we need to know is how you are connecting your phone to your computer.

As far as I know, this kind of thing is fairly straight forward. I've had my Nokia 6230i connection via a data cable and bluetooth and it's mostly just a case of config files and a special phone number, although I'm too cheap to actually pay for GPRS so there may be some unexpected post-dialling quirks.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!

Arrow

Well, i m connecting to internet via USB cable. Username and password are set blank to connect but i need only APN to specify( in windows).
    APN: gprsnorth.cellone.in
    and some dialing number to connect.

All above setting works fine as am using it on windows now.

There is also some setting that i use in my mobile phone that is:

Service Type1: WAP
    Port: 9201
    Service Type2: WAP
    Port2: 9201
    DNS1: 000.000.000.000
    DNS2: 000.000.000.000
    Speed Bps 1:14400
    Line Type 1: Modem
    Speed Bps 2: 14400
    Line Type 2: Modem
    APN: gprsnorth.cellone.in

Just Joined!

Arrow

Please Help me How i can connect to internet in linux (Red Hat).

Linux Enthusiast
    patience grasshopper. I'm still on the case, I'm just still researching.

I'm taking instructions from this gprs howto.

First of all run dmesg, then connect your phone, wait a few seconds and run dmesg again. The last few lines should mention a new USB device and a path like /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyACM0. This is the new modem device we'll be working with.

Next install wvdial and edit /etc/wvdial.conf so it looks similar to this example. The "internet" setting appears to be your APN.

Finally run wvdial and it should try and connect you.

If you have any problems then let us know, along with specific error messages if you can.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the link you have specified. I m also digging out that How to...
    I have problem with my OS Installation. I will be back reinstalling it. Few of commands are not working. As i m new to linux. I need some fresher information about using linux running commands and moreover about installation of softwares.

Few of commands are not working. As i m new to linux. I need some fresher information about using linux running commands and moreover about installation of softwares.
    Which commands didn't work?
    A few commands require root privileges for execution. Did you gain root privileges before executing those command?
    Execute su - to gain root privileges while logged in as Regular User.
    Code:
    su -
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First