Find the answer to your Linux question:
First of all, I'm completelty new to Linux and Fedora. I probably wouldn't even know what Fedora is if I didn't have to buy a new license for XP. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Fedora is right for me?

First of all, I'm completelty new to Linux and Fedora. I probably wouldn't even know what Fedora is if I didn't have to buy a new license for XP. I started looking at it, and Fedora looks better than XP, and for like under $20. I just don't know which one I should get. I don't mind at all the like $10 difference between any of them, Its just that there are so many, and I just want the best one with all the best features. Does it have anything to do with my laptop? Because the Fedora Core 9 Source DVD looks the best, but I saw something about the 6 CD being easier. I'm running currently running on an average to good XP laptop, and XP is making it suck. So, any help you can give is greatly appriciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

It's certainly nice to have a DVD with a full distro on it, but if you should ever need to install it on a machine without a DVD player, there's a hurdle that must be overcome. If you have a fast internet connection, you can download either, or both, for free.
    oz

Just Joined!
    First, thanks for responding. I do have a CD/DVD reader, so I'm guessing the DVD would be the easiest. Just one other problem, I don't know which DVD I need. I don't know if I'm running on a x86 based system, a x86_64 based system, or a normal one... Whatever that is. I have a pretty good, but pretty cheap IBM Thinkpad, if that helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    If you are currently running Windows, you should be able look at your system information from within Windows to see what architecture you have.

In Linux, you can go to a terminal and run any or all of the following commands to get various information about your system:

Code:
    uname -r
    Code:
    uname -a
    Code:
    cat /proc/version
    oz

Just Joined!
    Well, I still don't exactly know which one my system is, so, here you go.
    Image of My system information - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

oz
    forum.guy
    That appears to be a 32-bit processor.
    oz

Just Joined!
    OK, so I looked at the picture and it says that I'm running a X86 based PC, so I guess that means the Fedora Core 9 i386 DVD is right for me?

oz
    forum.guy
    That's correct.

Hope you have fun with it.
    oz