Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having a frustrating problem with adobe and I've kind of run out of ideas. I downloaded Adobe Acrobat 5 from the website for Linux. I installed it without a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

adobe plugin

I'm having a frustrating problem with adobe and I've kind of run out of ideas. I downloaded Adobe Acrobat 5 from the website for Linux. I installed it without a hitch. I copied nppdf.so (adobe plugin) and put it in both my mozilla and firefox plugin folders...when i use firefox, and click on a pdf link, nothing happens...if i disable, the pdf plugin in preferences, then it'll ask me to save or what i would like to use to open it up...

i don't know what else i can do...any ideas?

EDIT: never mind...i found something here...(coudlnt' find it before)...but hopefully it will work...have to try it when i get home...will let you guys know

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/acr...#install-linux

i forgot the link...but it involves creating a symbolic link to PATH environment variable

Just Joined!
    that did not solve the problem...i'm stumped

Just Joined!
    can you start it from the comand line? What version of linux are you running? There was a problem with Acrobat and some language settings that would prevent it from running. I also have seen it a one occasion with one install where it wouldn't work in the browser until I ran it from the command line and accepted the agreement.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    in firefox @ mozilla type aboutlugins in the address bar, and see if it shows adobe in there.

Just Joined!
    http://img76.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img76...Screenshot.png

yup...i have it installed and enabled...a blank page loads up whenever i try to access a pdf from the web...i just don't know what's wrong...

russoe, do you mean start firefox from the command line? i tried that, firefox loads up...i go to google, search for a pdf and click on it...nothing happens in the terminal

i'm using fc2 kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2

Just Joined!
    just as an update, i finally figured it out....

the link that i gave had the wrong information...the file that it tells you to link to your PATH is the wrong one...there is an acroread.sh file in /usr/local/Acrobat/bin (which is the executable) ...that is the one that you have to copy or put a sym link in /usr/X11R6//bin

hope that helps somebody out