Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have just started using Linux. I have a dual boot system with WinXP pro and Red Hat Linux 7.3. I was getting some problem in GRUB (it was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to uninstall one copy of Linux - PLease read - URGENT

Hi,

I have just started using Linux. I have a dual boot system with WinXP pro and Red Hat Linux 7.3. I was getting some problem in GRUB (it was not showing WinXP) and so I tried to change my boot loader information by reinstalling Linux. Now it seems that my system has two copy of Linux!!! Sounds very strange but it seems true. The reason I think that the system has two copy of Linux is that the GRUB (boot loader) shows three choices - two of them are Linux and one is WinXP. I want to uninstall one copy so that I have WinXP and Linux (one copy) only. Any help?

Also, please suggest me a good book on learning Linux.

Thanks,
    Vivek

Re: How to uninstall one copy of Linux - PLease read - URGEN

Quote Originally Posted by vivekpandey
    Hi,

I have just started using Linux. I have a dual boot system with WinXP pro and Red Hat Linux 7.3. I was getting some problem in GRUB (it was not showing WinXP) and so I tried to change my boot loader information by reinstalling Linux. Now it seems that my system has two copy of Linux!!! Sounds very strange but it seems true. The reason I think that the system has two copy of Linux is that the GRUB (boot loader) shows three choices - two of them are Linux and one is WinXP. I want to uninstall one copy so that I have WinXP and Linux (one copy) only. Any help?

Also, please suggest me a good book on learning Linux.

Thanks,
    Vivek
    Have you updated Red Hat 7.3 recently? More than likely what happened is not that you have 2 versions of Linux, but that Redhat added another boot option for a newer version of your Linux kernel. You can get rid of the extra by opening up a file called:

Code:
    /etc/lilo.conf
    or

Code:
    /boot/grub.conf
    (Your machine should have one or the other, not both)

In a text editor (make sure you log in as root first, and be careful not to change anything else). You will see 3 entries that are similar. They will contain something like "image=Linux 2.4.27" and a few lines after it.

Just add '#' signs (without the apostrophes) to the beginnings of the lines that contain the second Linux entry.

When you're done you should see something like this:

Code:
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-0.43.6
    	label=linux
    	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.0-0.43.6.img
    	read-only
    	root=/dev/hda5
    #image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-0.43.6
    #	label=linux
    #	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.0-0.43.6.img
    #	read-only
    #	root=/dev/hda5
    other=/dev/hda1
    	label=dos
    If your system has "lilo.conf" make sure that before you reboot you run the command:

Code:
    lilo
    While you're logged in as root. If you don't see any errors, you're done. If you had to edit "grub.conf", you don't need to run anything extra, just reboot. Hope that helps.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    "Running Linux" from O'Reilly is pretty thorough.
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runux4
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better