Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
i run rhel 5 server edition iam not installing these by terminal,just double clicking the rpms should i install these by terminal,i dont know how to tryin to install mozilla ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Karnataka,INDIA
    Posts
    21

    Not able to install RPMs,help please


    i run rhel 5 server edition
    iam not installing these by terminal,just double clicking the rpms
    should i install these by terminal,i dont know how to


    tryin to install mozilla rpm,and it shows

    error dependencies

    Details

    Code:
    Missing Dependency: libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.6 = 0:2.0.0.6-12mdv2008.0 is needed by package mozilla-firefox
    Missing Dependency: myspell-en_US is needed by package mozilla-firefox
    Missing Dependency: xdg-utils is needed by package mozilla-firefox
    Missing Dependency: myspell-en_GB is needed by package mozilla-firefox

    tryin to install XMMS rpm
    again i get error dependencies

    Details

    Code:
    Missing Dependency: libgthread-1.2.so.0 is needed by package xmms
    Missing Dependency: libgdk-1.2.so.0 is needed by package xmms
    Missing Dependency: libglib-1.2.so.0 is needed by package xmms
    Missing Dependency: libgtk-1.2.so.0 is needed by package xmms
    Missing Dependency: gtk+ >= 1:1.2.2 is needed by package xmms
    Missing Dependency: libgmodule-1.2.so.0 is needed by package xmms
    Should i install any more packages

  2. #2
    Linux Enthusiast meton_magis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    699
    yeah, your going to need all of those packages first before you can install the one you want. if you are installing from the CD (i have to assume this, because the other way is more difficuly.) open a command line (application->system tools-> .... something, it's fairly obvious)

    type
    $ su -
    password <--enter your root password
    # cd /path/to/cd/mount <-- probably /media/something (type /media/ and hit tab twice, it'll be obvious)
    from here, you have to cd to where the packages are, i forget, but since you found it in the GUI, it's the same path.)

    the command to actualy install the RPM is
    rpm --aid -ivh mozilla.rpm
    rpm --aid -ivh XMMS.rpm


    if your using RHEL5 though, there is a much easier way. open your command line again, and su - to root. then type
    # yum install mozilla
    # yum install XMMS

    (if the packages can't be found, do)
    # yum search mozilla
    and figure out what it's actualy called (i'm guessing here)
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Karnataka,INDIA
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    yeah, your going to need all of those packages first before you can install the one you want. if you are installing from the CD (i have to assume this, because the other way is more difficuly.) open a command line (application->system tools-> .... something, it's fairly obvious)

    type
    $ su -
    password <--enter your root password
    # cd /path/to/cd/mount <-- probably /media/something (type /media/ and hit tab twice, it'll be obvious)
    from here, you have to cd to where the packages are, i forget, but since you found it in the GUI, it's the same path.)

    the command to actualy install the RPM is
    rpm --aid -ivh mozilla.rpm
    rpm --aid -ivh XMMS.rpm


    if your using RHEL5 though, there is a much easier way. open your command line again, and su - to root. then type
    # yum install mozilla
    # yum install XMMS

    (if the packages can't be found, do)
    # yum search mozilla
    and figure out what it's actualy called (i'm guessing here)
    iam a newbee to linux(2 weeks old)

    the rpm which iam trying to install ,are downloaded for the internet

    and i will login as root

    then what should i do

  4. #4
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,755
    You need to Google "how to install software rhel."

    A) You are using an ENTERPRISE Linux distro - don't expect great audio/video out of the box. Maybe you want to use Fedora?

    B) You are using an ENTERPRISE Linux, so if you didn't buy it/have support, then you will probably not have access to the RedHat repositories. You may want to use CentOS.

    C) The RPM *does not* include all of the dependencies it needs. If installing via RPM, you would need to *first install* all of the dependencies. But you will find that the original dependencies ALSO have more dependencies. This is why using YUM will be better - it will resolve the dependencies for you. (See above - Google "how to install software on Linux/RHEL.)

  5. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Karnataka,INDIA
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    You need to Google "how to install software rhel."

    A) You are using an ENTERPRISE Linux distro - don't expect great audio/video out of the box. Maybe you want to use Fedora?

    B) You are using an ENTERPRISE Linux, so if you didn't buy it/have support, then you will probably not have access to the RedHat repositories. You may want to use CentOS.

    C) The RPM *does not* include all of the dependencies it needs. If installing via RPM, you would need to *first install* all of the dependencies. But you will find that the original dependencies ALSO have more dependencies. This is why using YUM will be better - it will resolve the dependencies for you. (See above - Google "how to install software on Linux/RHEL.)
    dont i have an alternative to install "all dependencies" and xmms.rmp ,mozilla.rmp
    i would like to retain rhel 5
    i have the DVD of rhel 5,downloaded (torrents)

  6. #6
    Linux Enthusiast meton_magis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    699
    RHEL is a very bad distro for beginners. Don't get me wrong, I love RHEL (i got certified in it, and plan to continue doing so) but what HROAdmin said is very valid. RHEL is not meant to be downloaded without paying for the support. The system is the same, but you dont have the repositories nessisary to make the package manager work. you have 2 options. Redownload a new distro (i suggest Fedora 9, or CentOS 5, it is the same as RHEL, but they took out the redhat logos, and added their own public yum repositories. But for you i would REALY suggest Fedora over anything else.) and install it. the 2nd option, is to google for every one of those packages, and download the RPM, put them all into the same directory, and use the command i said previously ( rpm --aid -ivh mozilla.rpm ) I HIGHLY suggest you just download fedora. It is an easier distro, and is what i broke into linux with.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

  7. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Karnataka,INDIA
    Posts
    21

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    RHEL is a very bad distro for beginners. Don't get me wrong, I love RHEL (i got certified in it, and plan to continue doing so) but what HROAdmin said is very valid. RHEL is not meant to be downloaded without paying for the support. The system is the same, but you dont have the repositories nessisary to make the package manager work. you have 2 options. Redownload a new distro (i suggest Fedora 9, or CentOS 5, it is the same as RHEL, but they took out the redhat logos, and added their own public yum repositories. But for you i would REALY suggest Fedora over anything else.) and install it. the 2nd option, is to google for every one of those packages, and download the RPM, put them all into the same directory, and use the command i said previously ( rpm --aid -ivh mozilla.rpm ) I HIGHLY suggest you just download fedora. It is an easier distro, and is what i broke into linux with.
    iam feeling the heat of non subscription rhel 5
    its time to follow wise peoples advice

    i want to go for cent os 5 , i have some doubts

    1. is intallation procedure same as rhel 5,can i work linux commands on terminal (usual) like redhat
    2. can i install packages ,normally (without geting error in dependences or subscription)
    3. can i install rpm
    4. can i get online updates ,just like that


    any other plss mention

    thx for advice n ur answers

  8. #8
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    609
    You could use the RPM repo from DAG/RPMForge (info here).

    Install the rpm for RHEL5 from RPMForge.

    After that, you can use yum to install the required packages:

    Mp3 player (xmms) + Media Player (xine) + Win32 codec (for xine)
    Code:
    yum install xmms xmms-mp3 xine w32codec
    You can also use it to install a Bittorrent client.
    Code:
    yum install bittorrent bittorrent-gui

  9. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Karnataka,INDIA
    Posts
    21

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    You could use the RPM repo from DAG/RPMForge (info here).

    Install the rpm for RHEL5 from RPMForge.

    After that, you can use yum to install the required packages:

    Mp3 player (xmms) + Media Player (xine) + Win32 codec (for xine)
    Code:
    yum install xmms xmms-mp3 xine w32codec
    You can also use it to install a Bittorrent client.
    Code:
    yum install bittorrent bittorrent-gui
    but i dont have an installation number(subscription)

    some of the users say that without subscription ,i will not be able to install rpms or depedencies

    so i thought of movin to cent os
    link(post 7 of the same thread) do click please

    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/627312-post7.html

  10. #10
    Linux Enthusiast meton_magis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    699
    the problem isn't installing RPM's, the problem is getting the dependencies to install your RPM's. Centos is almost identical to RHEL, so you can do everything with cent that you can with RHEL.

    The suggestion that redman put will work if your set on RHEL. What he is suggesting is to install a 3rd party repository for YUM. You will be downloading packages from DAG/RPMforge, and not redhat ( they are trustworthy IMO ). With centos, they mirror redhats, so you will be downloading the exact same packages that are found on redhats servers.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •