Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 10 of 10
I just bought a book called linux for nongeeks that came with fedora, i have it installed with a dual boot setup with win xp home edition. it is running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6

    total newb in need of hlelp


    I just bought a book called linux for nongeeks that came with fedora, i have it installed with a dual boot setup with win xp home edition. it is running fine but i cant get some of the things to work,

    Problem #1
    Plug ins for the mozilla browser
    I have downloaded shockwave and flash player for mozilla but every time i click on the icons i get a window that says not action assoicated, i have no clue what that means.
    ( i really need to get shockwave working more than anything so i can download americas army for linux )

    Problem #2
    TeamSpeak
    ii cant get this on to install it says i need to x11? so i need to know what x11 is and where i can download it
    or someone could attempt to help me with manaul install( tried manual install once, failed miserably)


    thanks,
    Mike

  2. #2
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496

    Re: total newb in need of hlelp

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboChrist
    Problem #1
    Plug ins for the mozilla browser
    I have downloaded shockwave and flash player for mozilla but every time i click on the icons i get a window that says not action assoicated, i have no clue what that means.
    ( i really need to get shockwave working more than anything so i can download americas army for linux )

    thanks,
    Mike
    The file you downloaded was more than likely a TAR.GZ file, correct? You'll need to extract it first, either by right clicking and extracting, or by opening up a console and typing:

    Code:
    tar -zxvf linuxflashinstaller.tar.gz
    Either way you'll end up with a '.sh' file. You cannot run this by double clicking.

    1. Open up a console
    2. Type
    Code:
     su
    and enter your administrator (root) password.
    3. Type
    Code:
     ./install-flash-player.sh
    (replace install-flash-player with whatever the name of your .sh file is)
    4. When it asks, type in the directory in which mozilla is installed. (To find this out, open another terminal and type
    Code:
     which mozilla
    5. Exit the console
    6. Start up Mozilla and try going to a Flash site to see if it installed correctly.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6
    thanks! i got it installed


    still need help with teamspeak and x11 though


    edit- and can anyone help as to find out which version of fedora core im using?

  4. #4
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboChrist
    Problem #2
    TeamSpeak
    ii cant get this on to install it says i need to x11? so i need to know what x11 is and where i can download it
    or someone could attempt to help me with manaul install( tried manual install once, failed miserably)
    I've never used TeamSpeak, but I can tell you a bit about X11. X11 is part of the windowing system that Fedora uses to render the graphical user interface (i.e. draw windows and icons on the screen), so if you're looking at a window right now you have it. Can you give us the exact error message Teamspeak is giving you?

    . . .

    thanks! i got it installed


    still need help with teamspeak and x11 though


    edit- and can anyone help as to find out which version of fedora core im using?
    To find out the kernel version, you can open up a console and type:

    Code:
    uname -a
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  5. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6
    thanks man, youve been a great help, turns out i just had to extract teamspeak.

    and btw, awesome comp in your sig wish i had it.








    mike

  6. #6
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboChrist
    thanks man, youve been a great help, turns out i just had to extract teamspeak.

    and btw, awesome comp in your sig wish i had it.

    mike
    I am quite proud of it. I actually got it resale from a company that had just upgraded for a very nice price.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  7. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6
    gotta love getting good stuff for cheap.

    anyway..

    -edit



    new problem, i just go americas army, i cant install or anything when i click on the file armyops.bin
    it tries to opent he entire game as text. need help on what do


    mike

    (man i AM a total newb)

  8. #8
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboChrist
    new problem, i just go americas army, i cant install or anything when i click on the file armyops.bin
    it tries to opent he entire game as text. need help on what do


    mike

    (man i AM a total newb)
    try opening up a console and launching it from there. You'll probably need to type

    Code:
    sh armyops.bin
    Make sure you're in the directory that the "armyops.bin" file is in.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  9. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6
    alright i got aao installed, but now when i click to start it, it goes to the loading screen, then when the loading screen closes ( normally the menu would popup) the game crashes

    and help would be appreicated

  10. #10
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    forums.gentoo.org
    Posts
    1,817
    You might want to check out this forum:
    http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewfo...df22417debb5da
    It's Linux-specific. Looks like a tough crowd....
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •