Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello people. I'm new on Linux. I use Fedora 9. I don't have a connection to Internet but I want to update or install new packages without a connection. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Fedora 9 Repository

Hello people. I'm new on Linux. I use Fedora 9. I don't have a connection to Internet but I want to update or install new packages without a connection.

I have access to Internet in my job, do anyone know if I can download a complete repository on dvd and them in my Fedora set up it as a local respository and install or update via yum?

Thanks.

I don't think that would be possible due to the HUGE size of the contents of repositories. You'd need to download and store every single application and library on the repos -- that will be ENORMOUS!!!

It would be much better to decide which packages you need and download their RPMs. You could then carry these home on DVD, and install them whenever you need.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Enthusiast
    As mentioned by smolloy, downloading the entire repo is way too much. The easiest way to solve this, is to take your pc to work or someone with an broadband connection and configure/download/install everything you need.

Downloading the required rpm files could be terrible since you do not know which dependencies you might face.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Downloading the required rpm files could be terrible since you do not know which dependencies you might face.
    True. I forgot about that.

Redman's right. The easiest solution would be to take your computer to a friends house to use their internet to get everything set up.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode