Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Help with SQL

I'm running Fedora 8 as a server, and I recently tried to install phpBB3 for my website. Well I got about halfway through it, and then my browser timed out. When I started at the beginning again. I get an error saying that it has already written the files it needs. I removed the phpBB3 folder and re-downloaded it, and put it back on my server and started over. Same thing happened. I figure that it would be my SQL database since phpBB needs access to the database. Thankfully before I started installing phpBB I backed-up my SQL database. So I tried importing the old SQL database by doing:

Code:
     mysqlimport -u username -p sql_database  old_sql_database.sql
    That didn't work so I tried:

Code:
     mysql - u username -p sql_database < old_sql_database.sql
    That didn't work either. So now I'm at an impass. I either need to find someone who actually knows sql, unlike myself, or just recreate my database. I'd rather not recreate my database since I know no SQL what so ever. So here is what I'm dealing with. MySQL 5.0.45, Apache 2.2.6, and PHP 5.2.4. I don't have phpMyAdmin installed, but I do have ISPConfig installed and working properly. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Redman; 09-24-2008 at 06:27 PM.

When you say 'it didn't work' regarding trying to rebuild your db, what do you mean? What error messages did you get when you ran these commands?

I don't know anything about phpBB, but does it need access to MySQL server or a specific database on MySQL server? Is there a point where you configure phpBB to talk to that server?

When you backed up your database did you use mysqldump (I expect you did, but just making sure)?

Normally, when I rebuild a db with a backup dump, I run:
    mysql -uusername -p -Dschemaname --execute="source backup.sql"

I've never used the other two commands that you show there, though, with a minor amount of research I imagine I'll find they do the same thing.

BTW, 'recreating' a database is as simple as:
    mysql>create schema <schema_name>;
    mysql>source backup.sql;

Lastly, this doesn't really seem like a Linux question. You will have better luck in a MySQL or phpBB forum, I think.

Just Joined!
    Well Lazarus I found my problem and fixed it last night. To backup my database I used the backup feature in ISPConfig. I found the entries in my database though and went in and manually deleted. Then I checked everything with ISPConfig, did a repair database, that took care of anything that was left from deleting the entries. It worked, thanks though for trying to help. I had plenty of time to think about a way to fix it though last night. I think though I;m going to go get a SQL book now though to read.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Issue here doesn't specific concern Linux, but SQL.
    Topic closed.