Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question RHEL5... how to install phpmyadmin (w/ Yum?)

I have a new dedicated server that will be acting only as a database server. The hosting company turned it over without much of anything except for mysql installed (even port 80 was blocked).

Needless to say, I am a newb and would like to have phpmyadmin on the machine. I already installed php via yum but when I do the following:
    Code:
    yum install phpmyadmin
    Loading "dellsysidplugin" plugin
    Loading "rhnplugin" plugin
    rhel-x86_64-server-5      100% |=========================| 1.4 kB    00:00     
    rhn-tools-rhel-x86_64-ser 100% |=========================| 1.2 kB    00:00     
    rhel-x86_64-server-vt-5   100% |=========================| 1.4 kB    00:00     
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    No package phpmyadmin available.
    Nothing to do
    Why isn't phpmyadmin available? Do I need to edit my yum.conf file? It's totally the generic yum.conf right now:
    Code:
    main]
    cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    keepcache=0
    debuglevel=2
    logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    distroverpkg=redhat-release
    tolerant=1
    exactarch=1
    obsoletes=1
    gpgcheck=1
    plugins=1

# Note: yum-RHN-plugin doesn't honor this.
    metadata_expire=1h

# Default.
    # installonly_limit = 3

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
    # in /etc/yum.repos.d
    Do I need to add a repository in the yum.conf file... such as some sort of atomicrocket turtle reference. If I sound like I only know 2% of what I'm talking about then you are right on.
    I suppose I could always try to find the url for the latest phpmyadmin and do a wget etc etc and fuss about... but I've always liked using Yum..mmmm.
    Appreciate any help.

anyone got any ideas?

That package is in the Fedora Development repository, and as you guessed, it is disabled by default.

You can enable it for just this install with this command.
    Code:
    yum install phpmyadmin --enablerepo=development
    If you are wondering how I knew where it was, I use a graphical package manager called Smart. It shows all of the packages of the enabled repos, and I enabled the development repo. If you would like to install the Smart Package Manager, use this command.
    Code:
    yum install smart smart-gui fedora-package-config-smart
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    another GUI that I use is yumex. I've never tried smart before, so I can't say which ones better, but I figured I'd mention other options.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4