Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been running a website on a Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz with 2Gb RAM with 36Gb RAID 5 for a while and it nearly cracked a few times this year ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Better Server... but slower? WT...

I've been running a website on a Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz with 2Gb RAM with 36Gb RAID 5 for a while and it nearly cracked a few times this year under heavy load... so... upgrade!

Now I have 2 (TWO!) load-balanced servers BOTH with the following config:
    STORAGE: 146 GB SAS
    MEMORY 8 GB RAM
    STORAGE: SAS quad-core RAID 1
    MOTHERBOARD: PowerEdge 1950 (Quad)
    CPU: Dual quad-core Xeon 5410

Seems pretty nice... should be able to handle a lot. Early testing shows very low server load... but I think the site loads SLOWER now. Even looking at google webmaster pages that show the googlebot trends depict the fact that SOMETHING is very, VERY much slower now...

So what gives? After the site was simply configured by using Web Host Manager (WHM, a CPanel product) and transferred one domain from the other). At the time of the switch, I updated the DNS listings on the original site to point to the IP of the new site... recently... as of today... I updated the nameserver to point to the virtual IP of the load balancing server... still slower than before.

Site also uses a dedicated mysql database that resides on another server... still the same as before.

Do I need to configure something for optimal performance? The site gets between 6000-9000 visitors per day with an expected load of 18000 users during peak season.

Thanks for any help!!!

you need to monitor system resource usage at peak times, and see if your maxing out your CPU. My guess is that your network is degrading, or you've surpassed your bandwith capability. there is no other logical explanation as to why a better computer would serve stuff slower.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

oh sorry, forgot to mention. a good tools for finding this stuff out are
    # top
    shows some info like CPU and memory usage, as well as a listing of the top CPU using applications.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4