Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I upgraded my Fedora Core 7 with Fedora Core 9. After installing successfully, it cannot start after checking UDEV. My monitor displays "cannot accept input" I run rescue ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Failure to start Fedora 9 after installing

Hi all. I upgraded my Fedora Core 7 with Fedora Core 9. After installing successfully, it cannot start after checking UDEV. My monitor displays "cannot accept input" I run rescue system using "chroot /mnt/sysimage" then tried running "system-config-display". It says no video cards present. I have gone back to fedora 7 and is working just okay. My display adapters are SiS Mirage 3 Graphics. What could be the problem and what can i do about it?

I had problems with fedora 9 and my graphics card too, and it's the first distro / release to do so. I'm not sure what the deal is, but you may consider just upgrading to 8, and waiting for 10 to come out. (I think 9 was released in may, so 10 should be in november or december, so you dont have very long to go.)
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Linux Enthusiast
    Did you consider doing a clean install of Fedora 9?
    Fedora is bleeding edge technology, so it could be possible that an upgrade from 7 to 8 will work, where an upgrade from 7 to 9 might not (because of the huge differences) ....

OH, one other thing i forgot. system-config-display usualy wont work if your display wont load at all. Try running

# system-config-display --reconfig

it will clear all configurations, and try to probe your hardware for a proper configuration. This normaly wont fix anything if you never had it working to begin with, but since you upgraded your install instead of a clean install, it may fix the problem. Also as Redman suggested, the upgrades introduce problems of their own, and a clean install will usualy be less error prone.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4