Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I've been using Slackware and Debian for the past 9 or 10 years. I recently accepted a new job where Fedora is used through most of the company ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless issues on Fedora 9

Hello all,

I've been using Slackware and Debian for the past 9 or 10 years. I recently accepted a new job where Fedora is used through most of the company so I thought it would be a good idea to install it on an extra hard drive in my Thinkpad T41. The install went great and, so far, the only issue I'm having is getting the integrated wireless card to work properly. The integrated card is the Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter. I believe the drivers are already part of the latest kernel so that shouldn't be an issue. Fedora recognizes the card and I can even see open wireless access points using Wireless Assistant but when I attempt to connect to one, it fails. Sometimes, I get an SELinux AVC denial. Could this be the problem? I've searched the web for an answer and did a couple days worth of troubleshooting. I'm at a loss. I really want to move to Fedora but getting my wireless working on my T41 is important.

Thanks!

wireless is always a pain, but i found that wlassistant was the best application i could find in making it work painlessly.

# yum install wlassistant

it helped me get it working for my sister, who is not the best at computers.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

I've had troubles more than once getting wireless devices working in Fedora that were no problem to get working in Slackware or CRUX. A year or two back, my USB Linksys dongle would refuse to work properly in Fedora and CentOS, yet I had no problems getting same device going in Slackware and CRUX. Both using the same newly compiled Ralink driver. I never did figure out what the differences were insofar as it's all essentially Linux.

Wish I knew how to help you.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    wireless is always a pain, but i found that wlassistant was the best application i could find in making it work painlessly.

# yum install wlassistant

it helped me get it working for my sister, who is not the best at computers.
    thanks but i already have wlassistant installed and that's what i was using to view the available access points. i'm just not able to connect to them, for some reason.

Linux Guru
    I think that you have to install firmware to get this to work. This command may confirm that (or it may not ).
    Code:
    dmesg | grep firmware
    You can get the firmware by following the "Requirements" section on this page.

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 Driver for Linux

It is usually extracted to the /lib/firmware/ folder, although Fedora may be looking for it in a sub-folder of that directory.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I think that you have to install firmware to get this to work. This command may confirm that (or it may not ).
    Code:
    dmesg | grep firmware
    You can get the firmware by following the "Requirements" section on this page.

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 Driver for Linux

It is usually extracted to the /lib/firmware/ folder, although Fedora may be looking for it in a sub-folder of that directory.
    thanks for the help! here's what i received when running the command:

IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x0e, buttons: 3/3
    firmware: requesting ipw2100-1.3.fw
    firmware: requesting intel-ucode/06-09-05

i think this is asking that I install the firmware for the integrated wireless card?

Thanks!

Linux Guru
    Yup!

Just go to the link that I posted and get the firmware. Since it is looking for version 1.3, get that version. Untar it and copy the firmware it is looking for (ipw2100-1.3.fw) into the /lib/firmware folder. You need root permissons to copy anything to that folder.
    Code:
    su <enter>
    Password: <enter root password>
    cp /home/<user>/ipw2100-1.3.fw /lib/firmware
    If the firmware is in a folder, include that in the path. Also change <user> to the username.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.