Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Fedora 9, and am having a little problem with it: I get a message: Security updates available The following import updates are available for your computer: yum-packagekit ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"Getting it to work" problems

I just installed Fedora 9, and am having a little problem with it:

I get a message:

Security updates available
    The following import updates are available for your
    computer:

yum-packagekit - Tell PackageKit to check for
    updates when yum exits
    PackageKit - System daemon that is a DBUS
    abstraction layer for package management
    PackageKiit-libs - Libraries for accessing PackageKet
    gnome-packagekit - GNOME PackageKit Client
    fedora-release - Fedora release files
    Update computer now Do not warn me again

Clicked "Update computer now" - nothing happened. Click exclamation point inside red star on panel, got this message:

Show updates
    Update System Now

Clicked on "Update system Now" - got no response - exclamation point inside red star still visable

Failed to update system

The error was: org.freedesktop.packagekit.update-system auth_admin_keep_always

Tried to access Add/Remove software. Got a lot of listings, but no way to remove anything.

Yes, I'm a noob, and I'm really confused.

PLEASE
    don't make me go back to Ubuntu

You're trying to update with "up2date"... that icon on your task bar? If so, I never got up2date to work correctly from RH9 through FC4. I'd go from the command line as su:
    Code:
    yum update
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I hate that particular daemon. first thing I do when installing any fedora distro is

# yum remove yum-updatesd
    or with fedora 9
    # yum remove yum-packagekit

What these do is constantly check for updates for your computer, but as long as you yourself check for updates, these just become annoying. To update your computer manualy, just open a terminal (applications -> system tools -> terminal) and type

$ su -
    password: <-- enter your root password (it will not display)

# yum -y update <--this will update your system packages to the most recent)
    then as I suggest, remove that packagekit thing, it's just an annoyance. If you prefer a graphical environment over the comand line, another thing you can do after you update your system, is

# yum -y install yumex

yumex is a frontend for the yum command, so it does the same stuff, just presents it in a GUI. It will apear in applications -> system tools, after it is done installing.

DARN YOU DAPPER DAN, you beat me in posting
    Last edited by meton_magis; 09-29-2008 at 04:09 AM. Reason: i wanted to whine.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    I hate that particular daemon. first thing I do when installing any fedora distro is

# yum remove yum-updatesd
    or with fedora 9
    # yum remove yum-packagekit

What these do is constantly check for updates for your computer, but as long as you yourself check for updates, these just become annoying. To update your computer manualy, just open a terminal (applications -> system tools -> terminal) and type

$ su -
    password: <-- enter your root password (it will not display)

# yum -y update <--this will update your system packages to the most recent)
    then as I suggest, remove that packagekit thing, it's just an annoyance. If you prefer a graphical environment over the comand line, another thing you can do after you update your system, is

# yum -y install yumex

yumex is a frontend for the yum command, so it does the same stuff, just presents it in a GUI. It will apear in applications -> system tools, after it is done installing.

DARN YOU DAPPER DAN, you beat me in posting

I was going to recommend Yumex also...much less annoying, and has other advantages also...

I really hated the update daemon in fedora 9, it would put the usual lock on yum, and wouldn't release it untill you acknowledged it and set it to (unsucsessfuly) update your system.

I hate to threadjack, but has anyone tried the Fedora 10 beta / alpha? do they still have the same annoying daemon?
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4