Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have a USB 80GB external drive. It was used as a backup of MS word, XLS and ppt files. Now I wanted to install Fedora-9 on my laptop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hard drive partition problems

Hi
    I have a USB 80GB external drive. It was used as a backup of MS word, XLS and ppt files.
    Now I wanted to install Fedora-9 on my laptop and used the external USB drive to be the 'residence' of Lunix. The C-drive of the laptop holds MS Vista.
    I created a new 30GB partition in the external USb HDD and ensured that the word.doc, xls files are not touched.
    I was able to install Linux and work fine. Grub was used as the OS loader. I am even able to load Ms Vista.
    Unfortunately, I cannot see the MS word, xls files anymore on the USB drive!!!
    Using MS's 'Configuration Mngmt' and 'Disk Mngmt' I can see the following partitions on the USB HDD -
    1. 204MB healthy (unknown)
    2. 3.22GB - unallocated
    3. 29.30GB FAT32 - Healthy- Active
    4. 41.84GB Healthy - Filesystem - RAW
    Any idea which of the above has my MS doc, xls files? And how do I access them?
    Thanks!
    Vik.
    ---

Just Joined!

from experience i learned....

first of all from experience i learned its not typically a good idea to have the linux os on an external drive because when it install grub it changes the the master boot record to reside on the external drive... why is this bad?? cause usually (unless your lucky or you specifically configured it) the computer will not boot up unless the external drive is plugged in...

as far as the partition i would go on a ledge and say its the fat32 partition on 3 because this is usually used in windows (aside from ntfs) but i could be wrong but if i am my next guess would be the raw space which would mean the data was deleted with the partition which is not good... btw if your linux install was formatted using fat32 30GB's then i'm wrong and that means that partition one is something weird but not your files most likely.... the 2nd partition is swap space for your linux partition (maybe) and the 4th is free unallocated space you cant use this until you format it which could mean you deleted your files

if thats the case use photorec or filecarver or something of the sort and recover the files off the drive as soon as possible while you still my very well can.... the files wont preserve their original names but the data will be their unfortunately you would have to sort out the mess of badly automatically named files!!

I suggest you boot Linux, open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    the l is a small L ... you need to do this with the external hard drive connected ... this should show disk partition structure & we do not need to guess partitions ... if you also post the output of
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    we can see how your Linux install is mounting the drive partitions as well.

If sudo fdisk -l does not work then try
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    instead.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close