Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have recently installed Fedora Core 8 on my HP laptop. Kernel - 2.6.23.1-42.fc8. It also has 32 bit Windows Vista. I am using a 64 bit AMD Processor. My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to setup Atheros 5007EG wireless using Ndiswrapper & Madwifi on Fedora Core 8

I have recently installed Fedora Core 8 on my HP laptop. Kernel - 2.6.23.1-42.fc8. It also has 32 bit Windows Vista. I am using a 64 bit AMD Processor.

My wireless card when seen using Windows Device Manager says - Atheros 5007EG. However in Fedora 8 it says Atheros 5006EG. I established a wired connection and using that i have installed the kernel updates, the development tools etc.

Now I have to setup the wireless connection. This seems to be an impossible task. Read through millions of Forums in this webpage, tried a million things - but no avail. At the end of most of the trials, the wlan0 driver is no longer present in the network manager. I am only able to see the Ethernet connection. I then have to reinstall the OS. Either i've done something wrong or it is an impossible task.

Please help, it is of very high importance. tryin 2 impress a grl. I am a Linux Noob

Linux Guru
    You need the MadWifi driver for Atheros wireless. It is available from the Livna repository. Follow the instructions here to enable it for Yum.

MyStartingPage - Rpm.livna.org wiki

You then will want to install madwifi and the madwifi kernel module that matches your kernel.
    Code:
    yum install madwifi
    If it can't find a kernel module (kmod) for your kernel, then update the kernel first.

You don't want NDISwrapper installed if you are using MadWifi. They will conflict.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.