Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a RHEL AS 4 update 7 server that I can login to via ssh any account (root or user) on the machine, but if I try to login ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Local login problem

I have a RHEL AS 4 update 7 server that I can login to via ssh any account (root or user) on the machine, but if I try to login in locally it clears the screen and prompts for login again.

I have tried creating a new account and logging on and have the same results.

Also read some where where some one / permissions where not 755 and that caused a login problem, but my permissions for / is 755.

Any one have some suggestions?

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio80 View Post
    I have a RHEL AS 4 update 7 server that I can login to via ssh any account (root or user) on the machine, but if I try to login in locally it clears the screen and prompts for login again.

I have tried creating a new account and logging on and have the same results.

Also read some where where some one / permissions where not 755 and that caused a login problem, but my permissions for / is 755.

Any one have some suggestions?

Thanks.
    problem relating /sbin/nologin

Just Joined!
    Nope checked that too.

here that new user I created.
    Code:
    miller_j:x:513:513::/home/miller_j:/bin/bash
    and here is the old one.
    Code:
    jmiller:x:512:114::/home/export/jmiller:/bin/bash

Just Joined!

more info

I now know what was causing the problem but am not quite sure how to fix it other then remove the entry but the oracle install asked for it. Can any one enlighten me on this?

Apparently our DBA in installing Oracle on the box put a line into /etc/pam.d/login file
    Code:
    session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so